He's Dead

"Okay, you'll wanna think of a really happy memory! The happiest you can." Harry was teaching the fourth years to cast Patronuses. "Remember you won't--" He stopped himself when he heard a knock, and he called, "Yes? Come on in!"

Minerva entered, looking solemn. 

Someone yelled, "Headmistress, who died?"

She turned a sharp glare on them. "That is for Professor Potter to know, not you, Mister James!"

 Harry paled. "Someone died?"

She frowned at him. "Can I speak with you in your office, Professor Potter?"

He nodded. "Class dismissed! Think of your happy memories!"

She smiled. "Patronus lesson?"

"Yeah," He nodded, leading her to a seat. "So, who died?"

She sighed. "I don't know if they all died, just that there was an attack, in Little Whining. Dudley owled the school, here." She handed him a letter.

He took the leaf of notebook paper, and read in shaky writing,

Harry, this is Petunia  There were strange people - your kind - near the house today  They set things on fire  Vernon, Dudley, and I were taken by Appatin? to this place  St. Mungo's?  Dudley is in critical condition don't know if he'll survive Vernon dead  Please come meet me tomorrow. I know you have classes, but I'm scared, I don't know what to do. Help, please, Harry!

Harry stared down at the letter, which had smudges where tears had fallen from Petunia's eyes. "Have you read it, Minerva?"

She shook her head. "No, do you want me to?"

He handed her it, letting her read it. "You want the day off?"

"What do you think?"

"You should go. I'll inform the students t was a family emergency, Luna might substitute for you again." Minerva suggested. "Why don't you get ready? I'll have Hagrid fetch you, and you can rest at the Burrow or Andromeda's."

He just nodded, going to pack.

---------------------------------------

"Eh, Harry!" Hagrid called waving Harry to the end of the hall.

Harry kissed Luna, hugging Neville, Ginny, and Hermione. "Bye guys, be back tomorrow. Thanks for taking my classes Lu."

"Not a problem. Good luck!"

Once Harry said his goodbyes to Hagrid, he Apparated to Andy's"

"Harry, hi! Come in. I heard what happened. I'm sorry." Andy exclaimed, hugging him.

Harry shrugged. "Not your fault. I'll leave tomorrow morning, thanks for letting me stay."

She smiled. "I'll take your things to your room. Spend time with Teddy, he misses you."

--------------------------------------------------

"Remus and Dora picked well, you know." Arthur whispered to Andromeda and Molly, Harry had dropped in to say hello, and was in the garden playing with Teddy.

"Oh yes," Agreed Andy. "He'll be a wonderful father one day."

"Hot one too," Charlie muttered, a half eaten bagel in his hand.

"Charlie..." Molly warned.

"Hey, I'm just saying, he's gorgeous."

"Hey Charlie, thanks for the Howlers, all of you. Never thought I'd say that..." Harry told them. "I should get going. Thanks for the room, Andy, and for letting me hang here a bit, Molly and Arthur. See ya later!" Harry called, giving Teddy to Andy and stepping into the Floo.

------------------------------------------

Harry landed in the waiting room, and saw Petunia. "Aunt Petunia!" He called, startling her.

"Oh, Harry!" She exclaimed, running over to him. "I'm so glad you're here! They wouldn't let me see Dudley!"

"Why the hell not?" Harry asked.

"I'm a Muggle--"

Harry sighed. "I see, I swear, the prejudices! Healer!" He called at a passing Healer.

The Healer looked irritated before seeing who it was. "Oh, you're Harry Potter!"

"Yes, I am. Now, why didn't you let this lady see her son?"

"She's a Muggle, Sir!" The Healer said simply, with disgust in his tone.

"Oh, so what I fought for doesn't matter? I fought for people like her, she's my aunt, and you can't let her see her son? Did anything I do even matter?" Harry demanded.

"N-no, Sir! I-I'm sorry! You can both go see him now!" The Healer whimpered.

"Thank you." Harry guided his aunt to the room number they'd been given.

"Harry! That man, he looks like he worships you!" She gasped.

Harry shrugged. "Most people do, can't find anyone who actually likes me, anyway, here we are." He pushed the door open, seeing Dudley lying on the bed, half-conscious.

'Big D?" He asked.

"Harry?" Dudley mumbled.

"Hey, how you feeling?''

Dudley chuckled. "Like a million hot knives stabbed me."

"That sounds like--give me a second." Harry whispered, finding the nearest Healer.

"Mister Potter!" The Healer exclaimed merrily. 

"Hi, look, my cousin's over there, he told me how he felt, and it sounds like the Cruciatus Curse was used on him. Do you have any idea what's going on?"

The Healer nodded. "Ah, yes. He was in fact tortured, around four times, in fact. I'm sorry for your loss, your uncle."

Harry smiled. "Er, thanks. Any idea how my aunt is?"

"Just a few burns, she's been healed. We can release them in a day or two, thing is, they don't have a home. It was burned down."

"Right, I'll figure it out. Thank you Sir."

-----------------------------------

"Hey, Lu." Harry said, his face in the fireplace of the Ravenclaw Common Room.

"Harry!" She exclaimed, sitting closer. "How'd everything go?"

"Well, Vernon's dead, Dudley was Crucio'd four times, Aunt Petunia's fine, but they're homeless--"

"--and you're inviting them to liv at Grimmauld. Just don't give them my room." She finished.

Harry grinned. "Right. I love you."

"Love you too. You'll be back in time for the monthly feast?"

"Of course, I'll just get them settled in, then come back."

----------------------------------------------

"So, you can pick any room on the second floor, if you get bored, there should be games or something, food restocks itself, everything should be provided, Dudley, you're gonna be in pain for a little while, so there are pain potions in the cabinet, everything is 100% safe. I need to head back to Hogwarts, but I'll see you soon." Harry told them.

He Floo'd back into his quarters, heading to the showers and then lounging on the couch in some grey sweatpants, no shirt, and his hair pulled up into a bun.

--------------------------------------------