Ellie

Ellie and Damiana had just been playing a Muggle game Hermione had taught them, hopscotch, when Skye called Ellie. "Ellie! Come here!"

Ellie sighed. "See you Dam."

Damiana waved. "Bye Ellie. Hi Skye!"

Skye glared.

Ellie turned. "Sorry about her. I'll explain later."
————
Once in their shared room, Skye yelled at Ellie, "What the hell! What have I always told you?!"

Ellie looked down. "I know, bu—"

"What have I told you?" Skye snapped.

"To, to never make friends because they'll only betray and hurt us."

"And what did you do?"

"I made a friend. But Skye, Damiana's different. She doesn't care I have secrets. She hasn't asked me to tell them. She's a good friend!"

"You only need me. I love you, I'm doing this for you! Don't you understand?"

Ellie nodded. "I'm sorry, Skye. But I'm her friend and it's going to stay that way."

Skye scoffed. "Don't come back crying when she breaks your heart!"

"I won't!" Ellie yelled, starting to cry. She ran from the room and down the stairs searching for Ginny.

She found her just outside Harry's study and pulled on her sleeve. "Ginny, can I pick a new room?"

"Why? What's wrong?"
Ginny asked.

"Oh, nothing. I just feel like I'm going to be twelve in a week, and I'd like some privacy. You know?"

Ginny smiled and nodded, though she didn't quite believe her reasoning. "Of course. I get it. How about you have the one next to Damiana's?"

Ellie grinned. "Thanks."

Ginny nodded at her. "I'll show you it and get you moved in.

They walked in and she waved her wand, making all Ellie's things appear. "There you go! Let me know if you need anything."

Ellie nodded, putting her things away. "Could you tell Damiana where I'm at?"

Ginny nodded. "Yup."

————-
"Hey, you moved?" Damiana greeted, watching Nellie unpack.

"Yeah. Got in a fight with my sister."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"Not your fault, I guess."

"So, mind telling me why she seems to hate me?"

" She doesn't want me making friends. Thinks they'll just hurt me. I have to be on my guard constantly. Yada yada yada."

Damiana nodded. "Ah, I see. We're friends still, right?"

Ellie turned to look at her. "Of course. Best friends forever."

"Forever."
———-
Damiana had left to talk to Luna, so Ellie laid down on her bed and finally let herself cry. She balled herself up and lay there facing the wall until she heard a knock.

"Ellie? Can I come in?" That was Harry's voice.

She pretended to be asleep.

The door creaked open and the floorboards bent under Harry's feet. The bed dipped when he sat down. "Ellie, it's time for dinner. I know you're not asleep."

She let out a watery chuckle.

Harry sighed. "You know, you don't have to hide your tears from me."

She turned to face him, propping herself up.

He wiped the tears off her cheeks carefully. "Wanna hug?" He asked.

She nodded, leaning into his open arms. "Skye hates me."

"No, she doesn't. Don't worry about her. I heard what she said, and I'm sure she didn't mean the last bit."

Nellie nodded. "Thanks. I'm not hungry-"

"Do you mind if I eat up here? I hate everybody looking at me like I might break." Harry interrupted.

Ellie smiled. "Course you can."

So, the two had dinner on Ellie's bed, talking and laughing.

At eight o'clock, Harry stood. "Night Ellie. Sweet dreams."

She yawned. "Night Harry. Thanks."