Owls, Interviews, and Goodbyes

The MC Home got several owls over the next week. "Harry! I have a schedule for when we can interview some people!" Hermione called to him, and he looked up from where he was helping Damiana with some homework. "Yeah? How many candidates we got?"

"Well," Hermione said, lookin at her list, "We have Cho Chang, Hannah Abbot, Katie Bell, Susan Bones, Padma and Parvat Patil, Filius Flitwick, Pomona Sprout, Dean Thomas, and now that I'm thinking about it, we should ask Poppy if she would mind us calling her if someone gets hurt."

Harry nodded. "Okay, are we using the Veritaserum then?"

"I...Yes. I think it'd be best I'll let them know everything, and tell them to meet you and I here on Saturday."

Harry nodded, starting to help Damiana again.

--------------------------------------

So, that Saturday, the kids all doing something with the adults, Harry and Hermione were sat in the kitchen, ready to interview candidates.

"Now remember, don't say anything until speaking together first." Hermione told him.

Cho Chang was first.

"Alright, you're fine with drinking Veritaserum?"

Cho nodded, drinking it. 

"Name and Hogwarts house?" Hermione demanded.

"Cho Chang, of Ravenclaw House."

"Alright, do you plan to cause harm to any of the children?"

"No"

"Why do you want this job"

"I'd like to help children."

"Okay," Hermione smiled. "I'll owl you if you get the job."

-----------------------------------------------------

They did this several times, before they decided on Cho, Padma and Parvati, and Filius.

"Good choices." Luna told them, kissing Harry's cheek. "Har, can I talk to you?"

"Um, yeah, one sec guys, I'll be back." He muttered, following her.

"Harry, you should sit." Luna told him sadly, once they'd gotten to their room.

Harry frowned, worried. "What Why?"

"Just...please, do it."

He immediately complied, watching her sit next to him, crumpling into his side. "I'm leaving tonight." She told him.

Harry froze. "T-tonight? But you said--"

"I know, Harry. But Dad wrote in his will, he didn't want a funeral. So I'm burying him tonight."

"Do you want help?"

She smiled at him. "No, I want to do it alone. I'll leave after dinner. I'll be in America, I'll Floo you a lot, I promise."

Harry nodded against her. "I'll miss you Luna. So, so much."

"You'll be fine, my dear, dear Harry."

-------------------------------------------------------

Harry didn't leave the room even after Luna did, and Petunia wandered in. "Harry, are you alright?"

Harry's face was smushed in the pillow, and he shrugged.

"She approached him. "Can I--is it okay if I rub your back?" She asked.

Harry nodded.

She rubbed his back, telling him she was sorry. "I'm sorry she's leaving, I'm sorry I was so terrible, I'm sorry I've caused you such pain, I'm so very sorry."

Harry sat up, his face streaked with tears. "It's fine, Aunt Petunia. I just don't know how I'll function without her."

"You'll do fine. You practically raised yourself, and now, now you have a real family!" She laughed, but it held no humor. "You were better off without us, without me. Lily would be so disappointed in me."

Harry sighed. "She loved you, even when she died, I think--I think if she were here, she wouldn't be happy with you, but she'd forgive you."

Petunia nodded, "Thank you, I don't know how you turned out so well, the way you grew up. But I'm proud, and Lily would be too."

Harry smiled, rolling over and falling asleep

----------------------------------

Harry rolled over to see Luna next to him, wide awake, but just staring at his face. "Hey, Lu."

"Hi, Har. You're beautiful when you sleep."

He smiled. "You're always beautiful."

She smiled, leaning forward to kiss him.

"Harry--ughhhh!" Harriet exclaimed, shutting her eyes tight.

Harry and Luna groaned. "Yes, Harri?" Harry asked, thinking how weird it felt to call someone Harri.

"Miss Ginny told me to get you. Yuck!" Harriet informed them, running back downstairs.

"Damn," Harry whispered. 

Luna smiled against his lips, slipping away. "Get dressed, Darling. It's time for breakfast."

Harry sighed, pulling on jeans and a grey t-shirt.

Luna cam back from the bathroom with her hair in a braid, skinny jeans, a yellow tank top, and jean coat. Her wand was tucked behind her ear. "Let's go." She picked up a suitcase, and headed down the stairs, Harry following behind.

--------------------------------------------------------

"BYE LUNA!" The kids called, the Golden Six sharing a hug, and then Luna turned to Harry and tears silently trailed down her pale cheeks. Harry gently wiped them away. She kissed him on the lips, ignoring the younger kids' "yuck!" and older kids cheers. Harry grinned against her lips, and she muffled a sob. She wouldn't hear his laugh, see his smile, for who knows how long. They didn't stop until Ron yelled, "OI! Get a room!"

"RONALD WEASELY!" Hermione yelled at him.

Luna and Harry shared a grin, Luna left, with a sad smile to everyone.

Harry sighed, sitting down on a couch.

Damiana came up to him. "I'm sorry you're so sad, Harry."

"It's alright, Dami."

"It's not okay for you to be sad, if you're not used to it. It overwhelms you."

"Eh, I've been pretty sad before. But thanks."

--------------------------