Chapter 6

Four pairs of eyes stared at him, and it made him more nervous. His palms were sweaty and he cleared his throat.

Though the people in front of him were his own parents and siblings, but he still felt nervous.

"Humaid? What is it, beta?", His mother, Hafsa asked and then glanced at Arhaan and Nabeeha, wondering maybe her other two children knew something.

"Humaid, is it something about work? You look nervous." Abdul finally spoke up,concerned for his son. Humaid never looked this nervous. When Humaid called everyone in the living room, Abdul Saeed knew something important is coming. But sudden silence from Humaid's side was just creating tension and confusion.

"Dad..." Humaid sighed.

"It isn't work. But someone from work...." Humaid trailed off and sighed again.

"I can't get engaged to Zainab.", Humaid finally said as he straightened up.

His mother had horrified expression, His father scrunched up his eyebrows in confusion and his siblings had amused look on their faces.

"Why? We were about to get you and Zainab engaged at the end of this month, Humaid! She is such an amazing girl, I thought you liked her too. We were about to get you and Zainab engaged on the same day as Nabeeha and Ali.What's the problem?", Hafsa almost shouted and Abdul held her hand to calm her down. And Nabeeha.... She blushed and looked down. Like hey, Ali is mentioned so Nabeeha was all mushy mushy. Who cares about the current situation, huh?

"Mom.... Zainab for sure is an amazing girl. And yes, I did agree on marrying her. But there's this girl..." Humaid started and when he said the last line, Arhaan interrupted him by his teasing.

"Uh someone from work, eh?" Arhaan teased and Nabeeha chuckled.

"Kids!'' Abdul glared at Arhaan and Nabeeha and asked Humaid to continue.

"Yeah, her name is Afia, she joined three months back and she is in the creative department. She is.... amazing." Humaid looked down and a smile appeared on his face.

"Stop blushing." Nabeeha teased and Humaid glared at her.

"Humaid, Zainab's father, Raheem is my good friend, in fact the Raheem family is our family friend. We know their family from a very long time and we know Zainab too. Are you sure you want to call this off?" Abdul looked at Humaid and Humaid nodded.

"Dad, even if I get engaged to Zainab, I know that'll not work. It'll be unfair on her part too." Humaid explained and Abdul smiled.

"And that girl, Afia, when will I meet her then?" Hafsa asked, though a bit disappointed with such sudden changes and cancellation.

"Mom..... She doesn't know." Humaid smiled sheepishly.

"WHAT?" everyone said in unison.

"Humaid what if she says no? Wait! Is she even single? " Nabeeha shouted and Humaid chuckled.

"She's single. I did my research. Like c'mon, you seriously think I won't do my research on the girl I love?" Humaid grinned and then his eyes widened at the sudden confession he made in front of his parents.

Everyone started laughing and Humaid's ears turned pink.

"I'll have to call Zainab's mother and you call her father." Hafsa said to her husband.

"And you..." She said to Humaid.

"Give me your love's address and home number." Hafsa teased and smiled and Humaid whined like a child.

"Hey hey! By the way did you guys notice something? " Arhaan pitched in and everyone looked and him.

"Afia spelled backward is Aifa and that's Humaid's company! " Arhaan pointed out and everyone smiled as they nodded in agreement.