Chapter 29: One step closer, two steps far.

PLEASE READ AUTHOR'S NOTE IN THE END. A BIG ANNOUNCEMENT IS WAITING FOR Y'ALL.

............. . ....... ..... ...

"You were never mine to lose, but I lost you.... all the same."

Anabiya took a deep breath and played with her fingers,anxiety and nervousness taking the best of her.

Her head was hurting even though she took pills to cure it. But sadly, there wasn't any pill to cure the ache she was feeling in her heart and soul.

All she was wishing for was not to see Arhaan today. But it was as if her stars weren't with her today.

She saw him, in all his glory, standing at the reception having a chat with Mrs. Coutinho.

Anabiya quickly made a decision to walk past by them, without getting noticed but as I said, her stars weren't with her today.

"Mornin', Miss Malik.", Arhaan greeted her, a hint of an emotion that no one was able to make out.

"Uh- morning, Sir.", she replied and then greeted Mrs. Coutinho, who smiled and replied.

Anabiya just wanted to avoid Arhaan as she wasn't ready to face the person who actually stole her heart and even broke it, unintentionally.

She knew she couldn't blame him. He wasn't aware. And obviously, she loved her bestfriend more than she loved Arhaan and she won't put her friendship at stake because of her silly feelings for a guy.

"I should head back to work.", Mrs Coutinho said and Anabiya nodded as she too walked towards the elevator.

Arhaan walked behind Anabiya, taking slow steps as there were some other plans going on in his head.

That would complicate the things that were already too complicated.

"So, Miss Anabiya...", Arhaan trailed off and Anabiya stopped. She gave him a sceptical look.

A part of her wished for him to say something that would make things easier for her, that would want to admit her feelings for him.

But once again, her stars weren't with her today.

"Congratulations. I got to know about you and Omar.", and here's where Anabiya's heart shattered again.

She obviously didn't miss the fire and bitterness in Arhaan's voice but instead of pondering over it, she replied in a more bitter tone.

"Oh thankyou! And congratulations to you too. You're a really lucky man that you got my bestfriend.", Anabiya smiled, though her words were hurting Arhaan.

"Yeah lucky.... very lucky...", Arhaan said sarcastically and here, for the very first time Anabiya missed the sarcasm and instead took it as a natural emotion and she interpreted that her feelings were only one sided.

Anabiya and Arhaan stared at each other, intently yet accusing each other silently, though none of them were aware of each other's feelings.

And before they could think much or say anything further, the elevator 'ding'  interrupted them.

Anabiya was now breathing heavily, frustration, anger, disappointment and helplessness taking the best of her.

She entered the elevator but Arhaan didn't.  And as the door closed, their eyes met, with emotions so unknown to them.

Their eyes begged them to confess out but their mind took over their heart.

And then Arhaan took few steps back and took the stairs as the elevator door closed completely.