Future Hope

"Hey!" Cyndy and Synch run after me and Drakon.

I turn around, facing her, "yes, what is it?"

"Is it true what you said? About Ace monsters returning to you after you beat them?" Cyndy says, listening intently.

"Yeah, from that duel I had, I would have to say that it's true," I say, looking at her. "Don't worry, all you need to do is find that guy that took your ace and beat him, plain and simple," I try to convey that as confidently as I can.

Cyndy nods, looking determined. "Yes, thank you," she turns around and walks away, back to her duel runner, Synch following close behind.

"She's a tough one," Drakon says "I'm  sure having any monster that you have a strong connection to being taken is terrible,"

"I can see her determination. She won't give up yet either," I say with a smile, "oh damn, I'm heading home, see you Drakon!"

"See ya," Drakon waves, walking off to a different direction.

-------

"What do you mean 'expelled'!?" Cyndy's voice ricocheted from the office of the Synchro Squad captain.

"Cyndy, I'm sorry but there isn't much I can do if you can't even use your own ace monster, it doenst look good when an officer loses any monster to the opponent," the captain says shaking his head.

"But... I..." her eyes look everywhere, to Synch, who looks just as hurt, to the captain, who acts like he doesn't care about her... Cyndy was done.

"Cyndy..." Synch tries reaching out to her.

"Don't you dare. I want no sympathy from you. How else would he know about me losing Scarlight...." Cyndy looks into Synchs eyes, "you betrayed my trust Synch,"

"But I never said anything!" Synch says, defending himself.

"And that, Synch, is why you are also punished. You are under the same expulsion period as Cyndy. You will not report for duty for the next two months. Now I have to work on this new case, excuse me, but please leave," the captain gestures them out.

Cyndy and Synch both leave the office, he tries to reassure Cyndy with a slight pat on the back, but decides not to, for his own safety.

"Synch," Cyndy says, walking and dragging him.

"Yes?" Synch asked, slightly concerned.

"Sorry for doubting you..." Cyndy looks straight ahead, but Synch could swear her face looked a bit red, and that's not a simple reflection from her hair.

"Its alright...." Synch replies softly.

--------

Through the streets, reports of a slick, black duel runner driving around town have increased, no one knows where it came from, or who's riding it, but all they know is that it's there one minute, gone the next.

--------

After I got home, I was rewarded with a kiss and a punch from my wife.

"You left too long, make it quicker next time," Freya says, laughing.

"Hey... missed you too," I cough out.

Freya smiles, "you know i can never be mad at you, come on, let's go for a walk, it's not dark out yet,"

"Of course baby," I smile, cause I get to enjoy a nice evening with my wife.

An hour later, me and Freya are walking through the park, enjoying the calmness of it all, and the feeling of peace.

"Its almost like nothing can hurt us here..." Freya says, looking around slowly, pushing the stroller holding Leo.

"Like a proverbial safe zone," I smile at her, loving the idea.

"Prepare yourself!" A man says, jumping into  the path we were walking

"God dammit..." I say, activating my duel disk. "Never a peaceful moment.... should've known it was you Knight."

"Heh, well, why don't you try and challenge me!?" He lunges in and activates his duel disk.

"Fine... I guess I have no choice..." I look back "Freya, stay back, protect Leo..."

Freya nods, running back watching the impending duel.

"Ill start!" I say, getting my hand. "I summon Photon Crusher in attack mode, with two cards face down and I'll end my turn,"

"My my, not so bold eh!! I draw!! Continuous Spell card activate, Dark Magic Circle! I look at the top three cards of my deck, and add one card that says "Dark Magician" to my hand, and organize the remaining in any order. None of my cards have Dark Magician in their names. I set a monster face down defence mode and I end my turn!" Knight says, trying to sound confident.

"I draw!" I say, looking at my hand carefully. "I summon a second Photon Crusher!! Spell card activate, Photon Lead! I special summon level 4 Photon Thrasher! I overlay my three level 4 monsters, in order to build the overlay network and Xyz summon!! Arise, Rank 4, Number 10: Illumiknight! I end my turn with a face down, your move"

"Heh... I draw!! Dark Magic Circle activates! I can now add The Eye of Timaeus to my hand, for it possesses the name 'Dark Magician' is in its text!  I now flip summon! Magicians Rod allows me to add one spell card with 'Dark Magican' in its text to my hand! Dark Magic curtain is here! Now, I'll activate it! I pay half my life points to special summon Dark Magician from my deck! 'Lp 4000' I now activate the spell card Thousand Knives! Destroy his Number!!"

"Gh" I watch as Number 10 is destroyed by multiple knives, impaling him from every direction.

"Heh... I'll destroy you Light... I'll slay your dragon!! Spell card activate, Dark Magic Inheritance! I banish two spells to add one spell or trap card with 'Dark Magician' in its name! Dark Magic Attack is the one I chose! And to activate! I destroy all your spell and trap cards!"

"You... Knight your different.... " I say, actually feeling concerned

"I grew from my academy days Light. Direct attack! Dark Magic Attack!!"

My life points drop to 4900.

"I end my turn, Light. Show me how much you've grown... I want to see you try and fight and fall into devestation while I defeat you soundly," Knight says, standing with a stern face.

-------------To Be Continued---------------------