16 Years

A slap on the back of Leo's head wakes him up.

"God dammit Leo!" A stern woman stands next to Leo with burning red hair and green eyes. "Pay attention! What I'm teaching you is important for this mission!" Cyndy says, captain of the Synchro Squad.

Leo nods as he wipes his eyes.

"Sorry miss Cyndy... I'll try to stay awake," Leo says with a yawn. "I was workin on something last night... I forgot this was today,"

Cyndy shows a bit of sympathy before returning to her stern look.

"What were you working on then?" Cyndy says accusingly.

Leo smiles brightly, "glad you asked!" He pulls out his modified duel disk. "Behold, the new incarnation of the duel disk, one that works with my summoning method!"

Leo is a cursed boy. Since birth, he was unable to use any of the known summoning types, Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Pendulum. No matter what he tried, they wouldn't process in his duel disks. Each time the disk would reject them. When he was old enough,  Leo and Light worked together, with mostly Leo's ideas, created a new summoning method, one that was created to stop Fusion, who had taken over the world 16 years ago... the same group that took Lights life 6 years ago. Link is the creation meant to save the world.

"Leo, I'm glad you embraced this mission, but the fact is that there's still much to learn," Cyndy says, holding her head. "As important as the duel disk is for the mission, working on it a different time might have been better... so STAY AWAKE!"

"Yes miss Cyndy!" Leo straightens up his posture, now wide awake.

"Good!" Cyndy smiles and continues her lecture on how events went down durring the rebellion, and where the mission will begin.

The mission? Stop Fusion, save Light Galax. How? Time travel.

-----------------

"So, you really are gonna go back in time?" Luna Intadel says, walking backwards next to Leo.

"Yes, but it's supposed to be a secret Luna!" Leo says looking around.

"Oh come on, no one is around!" Luna says with a smile.

"Luna, no one is ever safe. Especially not me..." Leo says.

"What, cause you can't use any summoning types?" Luna says, doing a perroete then walking backwards still.

Leo smiles and shakes his head. "Yep, just like you to just dive right into something,"

Luna grins back, being her always cheerful self.

being only a year and a half younger than Leo, and being the daughter of Connor and Crystal, they grew up to be rather close, but Luna wasn't chosen for this mission Leo was on, and he was leaving in an hour.

"Luna, will you be ok without me?" Leo stops and asks her.

"Hmm... I think so. I dunno if I'll be totally ok, but I might be able to live with it a bit," Luna said this in a rather fast pace.

Leo nods and hugs her. "See you Luna, thank you,"

"Um... no problemo," Luna says blushing slightly as he pulled away.  "Um... I'll be goin, bye!"

Leo watched as Luna ran to the nearest restroom.

"Weird girl..."

The time for the mission is nigh, Leo wears a futuristic Synchro Squad uniform, he walks up to a Duel runner fitted to accomedate Leo's modified duel disk, that he places in the dueling council.

"I'm ready when you are miss Cyndy," Leo says over the intercom.

"Roger, get ready, the duel runner is looking for the appropriate time to jump to. Remember. Once you jump there, you can't return to this time till the mission objective is met. And you can't reveal your true face or name,"

"Yes ma'am," Leo nods, getting on the duel runner and putting on his helmet.

"Time traveling in 3..."

A girl runs in the room, lunging at the duel runner.

"2"

Hugging Leo, putting on her Helmet, "Hi Leo! Imma come with!" Luna says with a smile.

"Luna!!?? Get out of he-" Leo says concerned and frightened a bit.

"1, mission, start,"

When Leo's vission cleared, he sees that the world seems less high tech, duel runners and cars look less slicker, more bulky. He went back in time, 16 years, the start of the Fusion assault.