Chapter 17

TRIS' POV

I stepped into the Training Room, Hermione by my side and took in its considerably large size in awe. Wood panelling lined the walls and the ceiling rose up so very high. At each corner of the room was a separate station for us to train in, and there were some more dotted around the place.

I turned to Hermione to see what her reaction was to this room, and sure enough she looked just a surprised as I felt. I felt a thrill of excitement run through me as I saw all sorts of interesting equipment, and thought back to how Tobias and I used to go through our Fear Landscapes together, and started feeling guilty all of a sudden.

Why was I feeling excited when I was going into The Hunger Games where I was bound to kill some people and die myself? I was turning into an idiot. I guess that's what happens to all the tributes over time. Especially the winners. I mean, honestly. Just look at Mr Bean and President Everdeen. In all honesty, I was quite worried about Mr Bean as he was meant to be our mentor but he could not stay done for every two minutes. And even if he was, he had a hell of a tough job to do. Helping us all at the same time when there could be one mirror.

What had District 14 done to anger Katniss anyway? Obviously she had some sort of grudge against us. I shuddered to think what the arena might be like...

"Nobody's here yet," said Hermione, mirroring my confusion.

I shrugged, trying to comfort myself. "I guess they just... Erm... Overslept?"

Our voices echoed in the huge hall, when I heard footsteps approaching along with the sound of laughter and chatter. I turned to Hermione and saw her forehead drawn into a frown. Then Jace and Clary entered the room and she relaxed visually. Gosh, this place was making us feel so paranoid.

Clary spotted us and gave us a nod to acknowledge our presence while Jace continued to talk to her. I felt a sudden pang of jealousy, thinking about how she was so lucky to have her boyfriend with her and then immediately felt guilty. If Tobias was here, either he or I would die, and me being here would be better. I had promised him that I would do my best. I don't know what I was supposed to do! I liked Hermione so much. I couldn't let her die.

Gradually more people began to file in: some in groups and some by themselves. I saw Hazel enter silently without anybody and felt ashamed. This girl, with cancer, was in The Hunger Games. The Capitol seriously had some sort of mental issues.. I mean, who even does that?

Throughout lunchtime, we went around the different stations, trying out different activities. Hermione turned out to be very good with recognising and identifying different plants and understanding which ones were edible and which ones were not.

Then there was Sebastian who seemed to be good at everything. Although he was horrible, I was sort of in awe of him. He was so strong, it was as if nothing could break him. There was a steel in his posture that made him seem so powerful. But I also knew that he had dark secrets. I could tell by the way Clary glanced at him nervously every minute.

Jace and Clary were excellent at handling and using weapons, while Hazel proved herself very good at survival skills!

I really didn't know who would win these games.

We'd just have to wait and see.

********

Very sorry for the lack of updates. We had exams. :/ (And still do)

Anyway, don't forget to leave a comment! :)

highschooltributes

x