Chapter 29

JACE'S POV

I caught Clary as she fell, exhausted from the rune she had just drawn. I knew she would be okay after a long rest but that didn't stop me worrying about her.

I carried her up to her room and lay her on the bed, and I tucked her into the duvet. She is so beautiful. Everything about her made me want to be near her ... Except that silly dog that bites my leg every time I touched her.

I waited on the bed for her to wake up, her head in my lap, playing with her hair. It was no surprise that she had fainted, the amount of demons there had been was uncountable and her rune-drawing usually took most of her strength. 'But where had the demons come from?' I thought with a puzzled frown.

There was a quiet knock on the door and Hazel peered in, with a concerned look on her face.

"Is she okay?" She asked worriedly, nodding towards Clary.

"She should be okay after a long rest," I replied, gazing down at Clary's unnaturally pale face. 'Well I hope so. Or I'm screwed.'

"She saved us, we were all cornered in the common area, but Superman and Shrek didn't make it," she explained. I noticed her pitch getting higher as she tried to control her emotions. 'They were found dead in their room."

"Oh," I said.

I didn't know what else to say. I didn't really know them, and in some way this easy death may be better than a difficult death in the arena, however sick-minded that thought may be. 'Ave Atque Vale,' I thought to myself mentally, although they weren't Shadowhunters.

There was a brief silence, in respect of Superman and Shrek before Hazel began to walk towards me.

"But the demons-?" I asked questioningly, raising my eyes towards her. I suddenly realised that Tris and Hazel had very similar features: the same defined face, the full lips and nose and same coloured eyes.

"Yeah," she interrupted, sighing. "I was getting to that."

"Who was it?" I prompted her. But I got the feeling I already knew...

"Sebastian," she muttered hollowly, echoing my thoughts. My heart sank. I knew how frightened Clary would be when she found out, and I knew that she never stopped thinking about how she was related to Sebastian. I had tried to convince her many times that although they were both Morgensterns, it didn't mean that they were both the same type of people. But she had just looked away from me murmuring, "I have a dark heart in me."

"It was Sebastian's session with the Gamemakers and he showed off his Shadowhunter skills," continued Hazel, looking down at get feet. "He used his stele to draw one of those... What do you call it... Pointy..."

"A pentagram," I answered, shaking my head. I already knew what came after this but I let her carry on.

"Then he summoned a demon to send lots of demons here," she finished, tugging at the ends of her hair.

What the hell was wrong with Sebastian? Would he never think about the consequences of his stupidly dangerous actions? He could have killed all of us, if it had not been for Clary and I! And he had managed to take two innocent lives...

"Hang on," I said suddenly, realising that two tributes were now out of the games. "Are the Games just going to start with 22 of us now because of Superman and Shrek...?"

She shook her head and looked mournful. "No. They reaped again while you were here with Clary."

Oh no. What if it was Alec or Magnus or Jordan or Simon (yeah I know I detest Simon but Clary would be devastated)?