Chapter 1 ~ Plane Ride

I nervously entered the airport and looked around. It was packed with people. I quickly looked down to avoid eye contact with anyone. I knew exactly where to go. This wasn't my first time in an airport. I was visiting my older brother who lived in Columbus, Ohio. I was 19, while my older brother had now turned 30. I was thinking about moving next door to him in an empty house. Even though I lived with my grandpa.

I waited at the gate to board the plane. I didn't have a lot of stuff with me. I had a small backpack with a couple pairs of clothes and I had my Ukulele. I also played guitar but my brother had one I could use.

Pretty soon it was time for me to board the flight. Fear engulfed me as I stepped onto the plane. I hated planes. I had been on a plane more times than I could count. But every time it filled me with anxiety. I walked to the very back of the plane where my seat was. I had a window seat. As far as I could see no one would sit next to me. So I made myself comfortable. I put my back pack in the cabinet above me and I kept my ukulele with me. I waited as the flight attendants went through all the safety procedures. Once they were done everyone waited for take off.

"Do you play?" A girl in the seat in front of me asked, pointing to my ukulele.

"Um, yeah," I said nervously.

"You should play a song," she smiled.

"Oh, uh, I don't-" I was cut off by a man in a seat vertical from mine.

"Come on, play a song," he said.

Finally, I reluctantly pulled my ukulele out of its case. I played one of my favorite songs. I ended up singing along too. I normally wouldn't sing in front of people, but I had to sing along to this song.

She asked me, "Son, when I grow old
Will you buy me a house of gold?
And when your father turns to stone
Will you take care of me?"

It was the song House Of Gold by Twenty One Pilots. Once I finished playing it everyone clapped there hands. I blushed and quickly looked down. Pretty soon someone stood next to me. I looked up and my breath caught in my throat. It was Tyler Joseph. And behind him stood Josh Dun.

"Uh, er, you're, um," I stammered. Everyone around me smiled at me. Including Tyler and Josh.

"Are those seats taken?" He asked me. I shook my head no in response. Tyler sat next to me and Josh sat next to Tyler.

"Um, h-hi," I said shyly.

Tyler chuckled a bit. "Hi. You know, you're really good at that," he gestured at the ukulele.

"Oh, um, thanks, but I'm not that good," I blushed.

"Whatever!" Josh exclaimed. "I should replace Tyler with you!"

"Hey man! That's not cool!" Tyler punched Josh in the arm.

"I'm not sure what's more damaged," Josh said. "My arm or my ego."

I laughed a little at that. When Josh and Tyler saw me laugh they smiled. I immediately felt self conscious and looked down.

Then the plane started to take off. My eyes widened and my heart lurched. I quickly grabbed onto the armrest and gripped it as though my life depended on it. My breathing quicked as we lifted off the ground. I squeezed my eyes shut. Once we were finally off the ground and no longer ascending I opened my eyes. I tried to slow my breathing. I looked over and my heart sank. I realised that I had been gripping Tyler's arm.

"O-oh my god, I'm s-so sorry," I felt my face go bright red and I quickly looked down. I moved my hands onto my lap and folded them.

"You're fine," Tyler said. "You know, it took me a long time to get used to plane rides. For a long time I was terrified of plane rides. But I eventually learned to love them."

I smiled weakly at him. I went to roll up the sleeves of my hoodie. It was a nervous habit I had. But I immidiately pushed my sleeve back. I couldn't risk anyone seeing the scars and cuts that lined my arm. I hated myself for doing it. But I felt like I had to. If my grandpa found out it'd be terrible. My grandpa meant well, but he didn't always express his feelings in the best of ways. He would drink a lot when he was stressed.

I pulled out my phone and put on music. I was still trying to get over the idea that Tyler and Josh were sitting next to me. I glanced over at them. They both looked back at me and smiled. I finally came to conclusion that this wasn't a dream.