Chapter 3 ~ Figures

I heard the sound of shattering glass downstairs. There were footsteps entering the house. Two sets of footsteps. I was trying to stop myself from shaking so I wouldn't make noise. Someone was down there. I curled up in the corner of the closet and wrapped my arms around my legs. I shut my eyes tightly as I rocked back and forth. Then I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I stopped moving and my breath caught in my throat. I listened as they went around to all the doors upstairs. One by one they checked each room. Then my heart stopped as the doorknob to my room jiggled.

"Hey! This rooms locked!" I heard a voice shout. The voice sounded familiar, but I couldn't figure out why. Then I heard pounding on the door.

"We know you're in there! Open up or we'll have to do this the hard way!" A voice boomed.

I scrunched up even tinier as they started ramming against the door. They were both pounding on the door. They were trying to break it down.

Then, with a loud thud, I heard the door come crashing down. The footsteps entered the room as I sat there, not daring to move.

"Come on, don't make this difficult," one of them said.

I peeked through a crack and watched them both. They were wearing masks so I couldn't see their faces. Then, at the worst timing possible, my brother called. My phone went off and the Star Wars theme song played loudly. I froze up but then quickly silenced my phone. I was too late. Both of the guys walked over to the closet. The door swung open and they looked down at me. I moved farther into the corner as tears streamed down my face.

"Come on, we can do this two ways, you choose," one of them said softly. They crouched down and extended their arm towards me.

I tried to speak, or yell for help, but I couldn't. I was too afraid. "Someone help me," I whispered.

"You need to come with us," they said. I didn't know what to do. If I didn't listen to them it could end badly. But if I went with them, who knows what will happen. I thought about it for a moment. I mean, if I died it would be fine. No one would care. I wouldn't even care. So I mustered up my strength and stood up shakily. I tried running out the door. I was able to push past them both cause I had the element of surprise. I bolted towards the front door. Then I remembered it was locked. I fumbled with the lock and tried to get the door open.

Before I could open the door I felt a hand cover my mouth. I tried to scream but it was too muffled. Their other arm wrapped around my waist to keep me still. I felt by breathing quicken and my heart rate sped up. Another hand came in front of me with a rag in their hand. It covered by face and my vision dimmed as I slipped out of consciousness.