Chapter 8 ~ Freedom

I was at the police station for awhile. They kept questioning me. They were asking who kidnapped me and where they were located. They seemed skeptical when I told them Twenty One Pilots kidnapped me. But they told me they would investigate. When my brother finally arrived I ran towards him. He pulled me into a hug and I cried softly.

"Come on," Alex said. "Lets go back to the house. You look tired."

I nodded my head, tears still streaming from my eyes. I sent a message to a grouo chat with Mary and Michael.

Violet: hey guys.

Michael: Violet??? Where have you been???

Mary: I thought you were mad at me! Why haven't you texted us?!

Violet: I was kidnapped. I'm sorry.

Mary: kidnapped!!! By who?

Violet: you wouldn't believe me...

Michael: we trust you. If you don't want to tell us then we won't make you.

Violet: I was kidnapped by twenty one pilots...

Mary: wait, seriously?!

Violet: yeah... They were nice most of the time. But I finally escaped.

Michael: well all that matters is you're okay. We'll text you later.

Violet: okay. Talk to ya later.

Mary: Bye!

I put my phone away. I watched out the window until my brother pulled into his driveway. We both got out of the car and went inside.

"I'm so glad you're safe," Alex said.

"I missed you," I responded.

"I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I shouldn't have left you alone. How can I make it up to you?"

I sighed. "Alex, it's fine. It's not your fault. No one could have known that this would happen."

"I guess you're right," Alex frowned. "I still feek bad. Did they hurt you?"

I shuddered at the memories. "No. They didn't hurt me. But, I-I hurt myself." I rolled up my sleeve to reveal the scars. "I-I thought if I escaped the world th-then it would all be okay." I started bawling. Alex wrapped his arms tightly around me.

"Don't do anything like that ever again," he whispered.

"I also broke my foot while trying to escape. I climbed a tree to hide in but I couldn't get back down. Once they found me they had to help me down."

"Violet, I'm so sorry," Alex sounded like he was crying. "It's over now. You're safe. I'll call my work and say I can't come in tomorrow."

I shook my head and looked up at him. "No. You need your job so you can go to college. I'm fine being by myself. What did grandpa say about all of this?"

Alex tensed up. "Um, actually, about that. Grandpa passed away around the time you went missing. He had a heart attack."

"What?" Shock and alarm passed through me. Fresh tears came through my eyes. If only I had been there. Maybe I could have helped. I know he wasn't the best, but I grew up with him.

"I'm so sorry," Alex said.

"I'm going to go to my room for a little bit," I informed. Before Alex could say anything I ran up to my room. I started crying. This couldn't be real. He had to be fine. He was the only other relative I had besides my brother. I didn't care how mean he could be. I continued crying until I cried myself to sleep.

***

I woke up to see the sun rising above the horizon. A fresh sheet of snow blanketed the ground. I slowly got up and walked down the stairs. Memories of yesterday came flooding back to me. I flopped over on a couch and stared blankly at the tv. Pretty soon Alex came downstairs too.

"Morning Violet," he said half-heartedly.

"Morning," I replied dully.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay?" He asked.

"I'm positive. You can't skip work because of me. I'll lock all the doors and windows. I'll be fine," I reassured.

Alex frowned. "Okay. But I'm at least coming home early. See you in a little bit."

"Bye," I said. "I'm going to meet my friends at the coffee shop later."

"Okay. Be safe," Alex said as he closed the door behind him.

I pulled out my phone and sent a message to Michael and Mary.

Violet: hey guys! Are y'all busy today?

Michael: nope.

Mary: no.

Violet: Great! Meet me at the coffee shop in half an hour.

Michael: sounds good.

Mary: Will do.

I put my phone away and took a quick shower. I put on a fresh pair of clothes and walked out the door. I was wearing black skinny jeans, and, against my will, a Twenty One Pilots shirt. I didn't have any other fresh shirts so I put a solid black hoodie over it. I walked down the road to a familiar coffee shop. Michael and Mary were already waiting there for me.

"You're alive!" Mary exclaimed. She ran up to me and pulled me in a tight hug. "Tell us everything!"

"Hey, let's talk about something else," Michael suggested. "That's probably the last thing she wants to talk about."

"It's fine. I'll end up telling you guys eventually anyways. Might as well tell you now." I began to tell them the whole story. Starting from the beginning.