Chapter 2 ~ Welcome

When the plane finally landed I relaxed a lot more. Once everyone was in the airport I lost sight of Tyler and Josh. I felt a pang of dissapointment. I quickly sent a text message to my brother, telling him I had arrived.

Hey, I'm at the airport.

Oh shit! I didn't realize that was today! I'll be there in 20 minutes.

Okay. See ya soon.

I curled up on a bench and waited patientally. I watched out the window as planes landed and took off. People passed by me without even glancing over. I kept feeling like I was being watched. I shook it off as nothing, probably just paranoia. I rolled up the sleeves of my hoodie out of a nervous habit. Then I looked down at my arm. Scars and cuts were all over it. I traced over them lightly with my finger. I was too weak.

Finally, I saw my brother approaching. I pushed down my sleeve and ran over to greet him.

"Hey Alex!" I exclaimed.

"Violet!" He responded. "It's great to see you! It's been, what, two years?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "So what's new?"

"Not much," Alex said. "Next year I'm going to college."

"Congrats! What are you going for? Is it still cause you want to be a police officer?"

A grin spread across his face as he nodded. "We'll catch up later. Come on, let's go." I followed my brother slowly out of the airport. I was glad to see him. He understood me more than anyone else.

*(2 hour time lapse)*

Once I got all my stuff situated in the spare room I ran down the stairs to see my brother. He was sitting on the couch with the tv remote in his hands. He looked up at me as I approached.

"Do you wanna watch a movie?" He asked.

"Yeah. You pick though," I said.

He scrolled through the channels until he stopped on the movie The Mist. I'd seen this movie before. I hated the ending.

About halfway through the movie, Alex paused it. He looked at me with a serious expression. "So how are things with grandpa?"

I shrugged. "They could be better. Whenever he gets stressed, angry, sad, pretty much any emotion he drinks."

Alex frowned. "Soon you'll move out. You shouldn't be in an environment like that."

I didn't say anything. I crossed my arms. I couldn't let him see the scars of yesterdays regrets. He finally played the movie again. We sat silently as we watched it.

***

I must have fallen asleep during the movie. I woke up sprawled out on the couch. There was a note taped to my forehead. I grabbed it an read it.

Sorry. I had to leave for work. Don't hate me :( I'll be home asap. You can help yourself to anything around the house.

I chuckled slightly at his letter. Then I slowly made my way to the fridge. I didn't really eat a lot usually. So I just grabbed a water bottle and went back to the couch. I put on the show Switched at Birth. I loved that show.

All of a sudden I felt shivers going up my spine. I looked around but didn't see anything. Just in case I walked over to the front door and locked it. Right as I went to sit down there was a knock on the window. I felt my blood turn to ice. For a moment I was frozen in terror. Finally, I ran upstairs and ran into my room. I locked the door and hid in the closet. Then I waited.