Chapter 25 ~ Phone Call

I had gone up to my room to go to bed, since it was late. I was still in a daze from what happened earlier. Tyler had kissed me. That means Misty was right. He did like me. And I didn't push away or protest. The butterflies in my stomach had gone wild. So, did I like him? I mean, this was the best birthday I'd had in a long time.

Then I remembered my phone. I got up from my bed to head to the door. I quickly locked it and raced back over to where my phone was. I pulled it out from under the dresser. It was only at ten percent. Shit. I thought about everything. Every possible scenario of what could happen. I just decided to risk it. I didn't care anymore. I was going to call Alex. He needed to know I was okay.

I picked up my phone and turned it on. I quickly went to my contacts and clicked on Alex's name. He was one of the few people I had on my phone. I clicked the call button and put the phone to my ear as it started to ring. Someone picked up the second it started ringing.

"Violet?! Is that you?" I heard Alex.

"Yes," I choked. It felt good to hear his voice again.

"Holy shit! Why are you calling? Are they near you? Is it safe? Are you okay?" He asked one question after another.

"Calm down please," I said. "They're not near me right now. My phone might die soon. I wanted you to know I'm okay."

"Can you try to get away? Like, through a window or something?" He pressed.

"No. It would be useless to try. They'd catch me," I frowned.

"I'm so sorry Violet," I could tell he was holding back tears. "I'm so sorry. This should've never happened. I never should've left you. I'll call the police again."

"No. Alex, I'm okay. They haven't hurt me. They've done the opposite. They're treating me really well and being nice. They're treating me like family. I just need you Alex. I miss you," I began to cry.

"Shh, it's okay," he comforted over the phone. "Happy birthday by the way."

"Thank you," I sobbed. "They even got me presents and food. They're being nice. Maybe they'll trust me more soon and let me see you. Maybe the best thing I can do is stay with them. They can't keep me forever. I'll see you again. I know I will. But promise me this, when I see you, don't turn in the people who kidnapped me. Please."

"But Violet, they need to-," I cut him off.

"Please," I begged. "They've boughten me clothes and everything I need. One of them even got me a box of assorted chocolates and a banana shake. Just like mom used to have."

Alex sighed. He was trying not to cry still. "Okay. As long as I get to see you again. I'm so sorry Violet."

Before I could answer I heard a pounding on the door. "Who're you talking to?!" I heard someone shout.

"They're at the door now. I have to go," I said.

"Wait! Will you be okay?" He asked.

"I already told you, they would never hurt me. Bye Alex. I love you," I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I spoke.

"I love you too Violet," he said. I quickly hung up and set the phone down. I curled up in a tight ball as tears flowed down my cheek. I just wanted to see Alex.

The pounding on the door grew louder. "Violet, open the door!" They demanded. I didn't move. I really didn't want to open the door. Then it stopped. Everything went silent. Then I heard the door knob jiggle and it opened. Tyler and Josh stood in the doorway. Josh was holding a paperclip in his hand. They picked the lock. Well played.

They both looked from me to the phone and back again. Josh walked over and grabbed the phone. He sighed as he handed it to Tyler. Tyler stared directly at me. I kept my gaze down, afraid to make eye contact. Tears still stained my cheeks.

"Who'd you call?" Tyler demanded. I just curled up tighter. Tyler came over and sat down next to me. He looked at Josh and threw my phone to him. Josh caught it and left the room. "Who'd you call?" He repeated, this time a little more gentle.

"M-my brother," I whispered. "I wanted him to know I was okay. I-I'm sorry." More tears began to fall.

"Aw, Violet," he sighed. He reached over and wrapped his arms around me. I burried my face in his chest. "What did you tell him?"

"I told him I was okay and that you guys had been treating me well. I also told him not to turn you guys in if I see him again," I sniffled.

Tyler just pulled me into a tighter hug. "I promise you'll get to see him again. I promise."

"Wait, r-really?" I asked.

"Yes. He's your brother. You'll see him again," Tyler soothed.

"Thank you," I sighed. I curled up against Tyler's chest. He kept his arms wrapped around me.

"You should probably get some sleep," Tyler said. "It's late." I nodded my head. Tyler leaned over and gently kissed my forehead. I smiled as he held me close.