Chapter 20 ~ Double Date?

By the time we got to the chinese restaurant I had regained my composure. We got out of the van and walked over to Josh and Misty. I stayed quiet as they all walked together. Why did everything have to be so difficult? Why couldn't I just have a normal life?

When we got into the restaurant we walked over to a table in the back by a window. They had me and Misty sit on the inside by the window. Josh sat next to Misty and Tyler sat next to me. Of course.

Then the waitress came by. "What can I get for you guys today?" She asked sweetly.

I sat there as everyone ordered. I stared blankly down at my hands that I had folded neatly on my lap. I was jolted out of my thoughts when Tyler waved his hand in front of me. "Oh, uh, sorry," I apologized. "I'll have some chow mein and pepsi," I said. The waitress nodded. She walked away as we sat there.

"Thanks for taking me here," Misty smiled. "It's like a double date."

"Double date?" I almost chocked.

"Well, I'm with Josh, and you and Tyler could be together," she said.

"Oh, no, um, we're not dating," I said quickly.

"Well you should be!" Misty exclaimed. "You two would be an adorable couple!"

I felt my face flush red. I quickly looked down in embarrassment. Tyler looked at me and smirked. "You really think so?" He asked Misty.

Misty smiled. "Yeah! I mean, you two clearly like each other. And I should know. I studied human behavior for awhile. The way that Tyler leans towards Violet. And the way he looks at her. His pupils dilate. The same's with Violet. Her pupils get larger. And the way she acted when I mentioned her and Tyler being a couple. She blushed and stuttered because she was nervous."

My face turned even more red. Tyler chuckled a little as he looked at me. Finally, Josh broke the silence. "So you studied human behavior?"

"Yeah," Misty nodded. "It was actually quite interesting. It was something I was always interested in as a kid. Every year on my birthday my parents would get me a different book about human behavior. I loved it."

"That's neat," Josh said. "Music has always been my thing."

"What about you guys?" Misty asked me and Tyler.

"I'm the same as Josh," Tyler said.

"What about you Violet?" Misty pressed.

"Well, to be honest, I was into music for awhile," I said shyly. "I wrote my own songs and sang all the time. Every chance I got I would be working on new music. Then I realized it was a stupid dream to chase after and that I'd never make it far. So, I planned to go to college and earn a medical degree since I know a bit about that stuff."

"You shouldn't give up on dreams!" Misty exclaimed. "I believe everyone should do something they love."

I shrugged. "Musics more of a hobby now I guess. Everyone says I'm good, but I'm really not."

"Are you kidding?!" Tyler exclaimed. "When we first met I heard you play 'House Of Gold' on a ukulele and singing along. You were great!"

Misty raised an eyebrow. "One of these day I want to hear you sing."

I chuckled a little. "The only person who I sing to is my brother. He's the only family I have. He bought me the ukulele on my birthday." I sighed at the memory.

"When is your birthday anyways?" Josh questioned.

"Oh, it's July 23rd," I said. They all looked at each other. "What?" I asked.

"Your birthday isn't that far off," Josh raised an eyebrow.

"What's the date today?" I questioned.

"It's July 20th," Misty informed.

"Oh," I said. My hopes dropped. I always spent my birthday with my brother. But I guess I wouldn't be able to this year.

"We need to plan something for her birthday!" Misty exclaimed.

"No, no, that's okay. I'm not one for celebrations. I don't celebrate my birthday a whole lot," I said awkwardly. Thankfully, the waiter came with our food. I didn't want to talk about my birthday. I hated my birthday. Mainly because I always remembered how great my birthdays were when my mom was around.