Chapter 22~

Do you guys like how the story is going so far? Cause I think it's great.

(Also does anyone have any guesses to who Unknown is? I'm not confirming anything tho.)

[Travis' POV]

Boom.

Thunder echoed throughout the house. I sat on the couch, my eyes tracing every inch of the blank screen. The power had went out a few minutes ago. Garroth was still upstairs, sleeping, while Zane was sat next to me, shivering. I don't know what possesed me to do it, but I slowly put my arms around him, pulling him in for a hug. He froze momentarily, but when the flash of lightning struck, he hugged me back, his arms tightening around me. I smile slightly, gently rubbing his back, hopefully comforting him.

"S-Sorry." He whimpered suddenly, breaking the silence.

"Zane, you don't have to apologize." I say, still rubbing his back.

He sighs. "Just... This all scares me, you know...?"

I nod. "I used to hate storms too."

"Oh. I didn't know." He said, wincing when thunder booms once again.

I keep rubbing his back. "Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?"

"Only if I get to ask you one."

"Fine.. How did your mom die...?"

Zane goes silent. "Jeez. That question?"

"I'm curious."

Lightning strikes once more, and I can feel Zane's grip tighten. "Th-That's like the most personal question anyone could ask." He answers, with a small stutter.

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to."

"No, I need to get this off of my chest...."

"Alright."

"My mom worked with my dad very often. She was the one with all the ideas. They often travelled, leaving Garroth as the one in charge most nights. One time while they were travelling, Garroth got injured during baseball practice and couldn't drive us to school anymore. So my mom had to travel home and... You remember how Sarah was the only survivor of a plane crash?"

"Yeah. What does that have to do with anything?"

"My mom was on that same plane."

The room goes silent as thunder booms once again.

"Oh. I'm-"

"Don't say your sorry." He cuts me off. "It's not your fault."

"So, you have a question for me...?"

"I do, actually."

"Shoot."

"Where did you go after your dad left and your mother died?"

"I stayed at my house, pretending that I still had parents. I had one of my good friends pick me up from school every day, claiming she was my mom. No one really found out. I always lied, saying that my dad wouldn't mind if I did this thing.. All my friend's parents bought it."

"Wow. Was it hard?"

"That's two questions." I say, smirking mostly to myself.

"Hey-!"

---

I sat down at the breakfast table the next morning, rubbing my eyes, trying to clear the yawn-induced tears from my eyes.

"Morning Travis." Garroth says, sitting across from me. "How was your sleep last night?"

I shrug. "Storm woke me up."

"There was a storm last night?"

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Garroth is a heavy sleeper from what I know.

I only sigh, rubbing my eyes one last time. "Yeah, scared Zane."

"You checked up on him?"

"Both he and I came downstairs last night."

"Oh."

We sit in an awkward silence, until Zane sets a large plate of eggs and sausage in front of us.

"Thanks Zane." We both say at the same time, causing Zane to smile slightly.

"No problem." He says, sitting next to both of us.

((Listening to Dear Evan Hansen is not a good idea writing lemme tell you- my eyes are watering help))

((cAUSE I'VE LEARNED TO SLAM ON THE BRAAAAKE))

We eat in mostly silence, Garroth asking a few questions about last night, both of us answering honestly.

After breakfast, I walk up to Zane.

"Thanks for answering the question."

"Heh. I actually feel better. I suppose Sarah and Max are right, talking about it does help."

I smile. "That's good."

"Actually, was living without a family hard?"

"Most of the time I was invited over by my neighbors to eat, I never answered the mail. One time I actually lost the house, but my neighbors covered that again. I suppose my neighbors are the best people I know."

"They sound cool."

"Heh, one of them was Dante."

"Oh really? So you really owe him then."

"Yeah, I owe Dante a lot." I say, looking to the side.

"Ah, I just remembered, I was going to hang out with Sam and Sarah later today. I need to go get changed." Zane says, pushing past me into the living room and upstairs.

My eyes followed his movements.

You usually never get this cozy with people. You must be doing something wrong.

He was right about one thing, I never get this cozy with people. But he was wrong about the other thing.

Zane made me feel like I could tell him anything. He made me feel like I could be my crazy usual self in front of him, and he wouldn't laugh at me, but with me.

Zane doesn't seem like the type of guy who socalizes a lot, but when he does he feels incredibly awkward around them.

But he and I get along just fine. No awkwardness, or snapyness or anything.

Just us.

---

Word Count: 894 words

DAMN IF ONLY I COULD WRITE PAPERS LIKE THIS

AHA OR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS

Lmao I wanna get into a 4 week program for a summer camp but i need to write to get financiaal aid but it needs to be 350 words and I S U C K  AT PAPERS

SAVE ME-

Don't forget to vote and comment! (I reply to all of your comments, I promise :) )

Ciao~