40: darry

I sat on the couch reading when the phone rang, "hello" I said. It was a machine saying I didn't have school tomorrow. I was mad but also happy. We would have to make these days up since we already used our two snow days. But it was also my senior year so maybe they'll put the days on the end of the year when I'm not there anymore.

I can't wait to be out of high school. Don't get me wrong it was fun and I met great people but I'm so tired of people asking me where in going to collage. Because I'm not, I'm joining my family hardscaping company.

I know a girl in a trade job how crazy,but it's the family business and I really do love it. I've been going to work with my dad since I could walk. And have been helping since I was 10. The plan is for me to take over when my dad retires.

I hung up the phone and went to tell mom.

"Mom," I knocked on her door.

"Yeah"

"There is not school tomorrow."

"Ok, good night"

"Goodnight."

And with that I went to bed.

---

"Ugh," I yelled looking at the clock it was 12 and I couldn't fall asleep. And I've been having this weird feeling in my stomach. Like something is gonna happen.

I pulled my curtains back a little to look for snow. But none just rain. Lucky us.

---

I woke up with the sun in my eyes. I didnt even know I fell asleep. I looked out my window and there wasn't even an inch of snow. Then I looked at the clock 6:37. Ugh I'm gonna have to go to work today. Yeah I work with my dad but during his off-season I work at a diner.

I laid around in bed until 8 when I forced myself to get up.

I walked out to the kitchen and I could smell was pork.

"Mhmmm is that for Saturday," I said opening the oven.

"(y/n) Shut that oven now your letting all the heat out." my mom said.

"Ok," I just shut the oven and kept looking for something to eat.

"Oh honey work called they need you in by 11."

"11 that's when the bulk of the storm hits."

"Honey I'm sorry but that's what they said."

"Ugh fine."

I made a bagel and walked to my parents room.

"Dad you up." I said through the door.

"Yeah, what's up."

"Can I take your truck to work."

"Yeah when."

"11"

"11 that's when the bulk of the storm hits."

"That's what I said," I said turning around and shuting the door.

---

I got to work 10 minitues late and my boss flipped out. Guess he doesn't understand that when it snows people drive slower.

I got home 30 minutes later then usual because none of the roads were plowed.

---

"I'm home," I called.

"Hi honey," I heard both my parents say.

"Hi"

"Can I ask you a favor sweetie," my dad asked.

"Yeah what."

"Now before you say anything I just want you to remember your mother and I love you very much."

"Your gonna ask me to shovel."

"Howd you know"

" I was trying to figure out when you would ask all the way home."

I walked to my room to put a hat and gloves on. I wasn't even in the house yet before they sent me out to shovel. Wow.

---

I stood there whistling a song and struggling to shovel. Our shovel is broken so it makes it really hard. But there's a process for it to work. Its a long process but it's a process.

I stopped whistling when I heard shoveling behind me.

And there stood the most beautiful guy I have every seen. I had to tell my self to stop starring.

"Umm hello," I said.

"Oh hi." he said taking off his gloves and walking towards me, "I noticed you takeing a long time and that your shovel was broken so I thought I would help."

"Thanks I guess."

"I'm darry."

"I'm (y/n)"

"Can I call you mine" he said. I started laughing. "Sorry I know it was cheesy."

"No it's fine I loved it."

"So do you wanna hang out sometime maybe," he asked.

"I'll tell you what, you see that window right there. If you knock on that window anytime after 9. I'll go anywhere"

"Why so sneaky"

"Parents"

"Oh"

"Yeah, anyway I should get going. I was supposed to finish this them go in for dinner."

"Ok," he said and I started to walk away, " hey, is 9 tonight good."

"Yeah," I called before going inside.

---

I sat down and started reading again when the phone rang, "hello," I said again cheerfully. The same machine giving me the same message, no school.

I went in my room and continued reading there. I heard a knock on my window and almost jumped out of my skin, before remembering Darry.

I opened my window.

"Give me a second to grab my jacket."

"Actually can we stay here tonight."

"Yeah." I said turning back around slowly. " come on in."

He pulled himself in my window and came in.

---

We were lying there our heads resting in the floor and our legs on my bed.

We were laughing hysterically trying to be quiet but that would only make us laugh more.

"You know your cute Darry."

"You too (y/n)."

He slowly ran his fingers through the hair in the back of my head before pulling me into a kiss. It was my first kiss, no one's ever kissed me before. They all said I was to tomboy and ran away before the chance.

But this, this was diffrent this was going to last.

Hey guys I hope you liked it. Request are open. Please leave some. Thanks for reading, God bless.