13 | kim taehyung

a/n - i hope your brains are ready for an information bomb bc here it comes

-=-=-=-

'we're not friends! it's all fake!'

why?

these words replayed in my head on an endless, aimless, loop.

i'd convinced myself that i finally found someone who could accept all of me, like she told me.

i knelt in front of her grave, the air still and quiet around us.

"eomma..." i said hardly above a whisper. "you remember the one i told you about?"

no response.

"he wasn't the one. you told me to never settle for anyone who... who couldn't love all of me. to only love someone who could accept all of me." i paused and wiped my eyes. "eomma, i'm scared." one could only imagine how badly i'd wanted her warm arms to wrap around me and tell me 'it'll all be okay' but eomma can't do that anymore. "i thought he was the one..."

when i was younger, people would think i was weird. my friends never stuck around and eventually people would call me harsh names like "Alien". friends would never stick around, so i got used to it.

eomma always laughed with me, not at me.

i bitterly teared up at how cliche the situation was. i fell for my rival who was only messing with me. ridiculous.

yet the tears still unwaveringly flowed down and my sobs filled the still silence.

'never settle for anyone who can't love all of you, and never settle for anyone you don't love all of. nothing is ever as it truly seems.' these were my mother's last words; it's a quote from our favorite movie. she died when i was 18. it was the day before my high school graduation, the day after my boyfriend of 2 years left me.

i'm 22 now.

sitting on a stone bench, i watched the wind ruffle the bouquet of baby's breath. baby's breath was her favorite flower despite it usually being a filler.

she said it deserved to be loved just as much as all the other flowers; it was ironic because she fell for my dad who was quiet and part of the stage crew in high school. he died before he could graduate from college, while my mom was pregnant with me.

that's probably why i felt lonely as a child.

don't get me wrong, my mother and her mother gave me enough love to keep me happy and cared for, but i felt unsatisfied without my father or grandfather.

maybe i should visit halmeoni, it's been two weeks.

(halmeoni=grandmother)

when jungkook and i first had that spontaneous burst of friendship, a few days later i went to her house and told her everything.

'oh, you seem so happy...' she said looking at me proudly.

'i really am, i wonder if he's the one my eomma told me about?' i was so curious and excited about this at the same time. 'because i think our personalities go really great together! don't you think so? i mean, after we became friends he's never showed any sign of being annoyed! he even joined me and-'

she chuckled at my childlike excitement, but i couldn't help it!

'taehyungie, time will tell. you never know~.' she had said to me.

by now my tears stopped, and i was calm enough to drive to her small house in the less busy part of the city.

knocking on her door she opened it up and immediate concern was clear on her face.

"he wasn't the one?" she said after a moment. i shook my head no and she let me in. "this john jungle cook needs to talk to me right now!" she said passionately. if this was a movie, she'd be a great actor. too bad she's not acting.

"ha-halmeoni i don't think—" i tried to calm her, but everyone in the family knew she was as stubborn as super glue.

"taehyungie" she said placing a hand on my shoulder. "your grandfather wasn't the one for me, and i'm not letting you lose the one meant for you. even if he is just some fraud." at this is stayed silent.

mother had told me to avoid talking about my grandfather, but i felt like it was appropriate for me to know at this age.

"halmeoni, did my grandfather die? did he... leave?" i asked cautiously. hopefully she wouldn't be too emotional with this topic.

"hell no." she said unexpectedly. "i left his sorry ass, i am an independent woman!" my face held absolutely nothing but shock and a newfound respect for this woman.

she laughed at my face and continued. "but really, he wasn't the one for me so we separated." she said nostalgically. the house was silent.

she took this opportunity to snatch my phone and trudge slightly faster than usual to the bathroom and lock it.

what—

"IS THIS JOHN JUNGLE COOK?"

oh my—

"I NEED TO HAVE A TALK WITH YOU... BOY WHY DOES IT SOUND LIKE YOU'VE BEEN CRYING?"

. . . lord

"oh well... YES, NOW! i am taehyungie's grandmother and i'm gonna educate you today so get ready!" she said dramatically and i can't remember a time i felt more embarrassed.

"get to bay park in 20 minutes, or you won't live to see the light of da- *cough cough* day tomorrow." her voice lowered down and i heard the 'end call' sound. i changed my mind, it got more embarrassing.

honestly... i didn't even know how to react. the house was dead quiet for a good minute, till she opened the bathroom door.

"what's that!?!" she yelled pointing somewhere else, and i just stared at her as she slowly slipped my phone into my pocket.

"skADOOSH!" she high fived herself. "you still got it saejin, you've still got it! you—" she noticed me staring at her with a 'what the hell' face. "ahem, so from my magic powers, i've concluded that john jungle cook will be at bay park in twenty minutes." she smiled at me as if she didn't just pull of the ultimate heist.

she walked outside with her coat.

"come on, let's go!" i was still speechless and we got in my car driving to bay park.

"what even just..." i attempted to ask her what just happened a couple times, but i gave up thinking 'that's just how halmeoni is'.

as we pulled into the parking lot, i was able to see jungkook sitting on a park bench by the pond. i almost chuckled at how nervous he looked.

"there he is." i pointed at him.

"that guy with the timbs? i'm going in." she said like a spy and got out of the car. "stay in the nest." she ordered me and walked towards him.

i knew, from past experience, there was nothing i could do to stop her.

"you! john jungle cook!"

oh, he'll correct her later.

CHAPTER END

is your brain loaded with new information? have fun with that :)

what are your thoughts on halmeoni?