39 | kim taehyung

fire.

one of the props had fallen over and pushed a candle in just the right place.

in the normally chilly set room, flames licked at the clothes rack in front of the the door, which also happened to be where the fire extinguisher was. the flames spread, and everyone was shocked frozen (despite the rising heat).

it was jungkook who took the first initiative, despite it being only our sixth day here.

"hyung! call 911!" jungkook told yoongi who had his phone out.

"are there any windows here?" he asked the staff, since there were many boxes and shelves lining the walls.

"behind all those boxes... it..." he continued to hastily describe some details.

there's only one window in the whole room, but it was covered up and painted over a long, long time ago.

"yes, hello, fire at bighit studio... set number..." yoongi said with way more drive and energy than i've ever seen him have.

i was still frozen in place unable to do anything. people rushed around me, the fire moving fluidly yet so dangerously. it was mesmerizing.

seconds. minutes. hours. days. weeks. years.

all concept of time left as my mind stopped processing what was happening.

the fire had spread to half of the room. i noticed a beam was about to fall, i still felt stiff and helpless at the moment, but grateful that i wasn't under it.

but...

jin.

"jin h-hyung!" i called desperately. even if i ran with all my strength, there was no way i would reach him in time.

my heart sunk and my face flushed when a loud sound rang out.

the beam fell.

jin turned to look at me after hearing me call, but he never got to fully look at me.

it was at that point that hoseok dove in pushing jin out of harm's way. the two fell to the floor, safe with nothing worse than maybe a bruise from the fall.

"jin! are you okay?" hoseok asked squishing jin's face around checking if he had any burns.

jin and hoseok sat up, but all jin did was nod gratefully. he was clearly shocked by what had just happened.

i averted my attention to the ever growing fire. half of the room at this point had been engulfed in flames, yet the only ventilation we had consisted of the few large vents high up in the ceiling. the large set room had nothing even close to the height of the roof, so that option was clearly ruled out.

"tae, some help please?" jungkook shouted. most of the people trapped here were trying to move the many, many boxes of equipment that were piled up in front of what i assumed to be the window. a few others were either frozen like i, or some had even passed out.

i finally snapped out of my trance and got myself moving.

the worry only seemed to grow more and more evident on each face as each second passed.

the air was thick, and i noticed one or two more people laying on the ground.

save me. save us. please.

"the window!" jungkook said after moving one of the boxes. we hurriedly moved the rest out of the way to expose the whole thing.

the window was huge. it might've been roughly a 2m x 3m
our regular cameraman, with tears streaming down his face, used his camera to initially break the window—he probably knew it would be broken in the end anyways.

violent coughs filled the air, the fire closer than before.

we were shocked at the cameraman, but took action hastily. jungkook took some other items lying on the floor to break the leftover glass, but it was certainly not an easy job. the window had been painted over and the paint was clearly aged.

others grabbed hard items as well and eventually managed to make a safer opening.

"the emergency services are here with the catcher, i think they need us to jump one at a time." said jungkook peering down. we were on the third floor, and new panic washed over me. "it's now or never, now go!"

we lined up to jump out the window keeping an eye on the fire.

"wait... the staff members!" i exclaimed and rushed to their passed out bodies. "we need to get them down too!"

jungkook was the only one who seemed to notice my call and he rushed towards me.

"come on, leave them next to the line and we can get them down from there." we both nodded and got to work.

the most terrifying part was not knowing whether the people i was saving were alive or not.

having to breathe heavily into the smoke, i myself felt extremely lightheaded.

"tae, there's no more!" jungkook said from the window, and i rushed over to him.

eight people.

that's how many passed out bodies we recovered, and i could only pray that nobody died.

"the conscious are already down, we just need to land these people on the catcher. the firefighters can easily adjust to catch them so don't worry."

"you sure?" i asked not wanting to unintentionally kill someone.

"kim taehyung this is not the time for doubts, now help me out." he said seriously and we began to carefully aim and toss them.

"the fire's really close now!" i warned. the only reason we were able to remain conscious was because we were able to stick our head out the window every time we tossed someone.

"that was the last one, you can go first tae." he said, still with confidence.

in all honestly, i felt guilty that he did so much while i just stood around idly and obeyed his commands.

nevertheless, i obeyed and was about to jump when...

crack.

another pillar suddenly unhinged...

right above us.

"go, tae!" he screamed saying it as though only i could make it out of here.

my heart stopped.

it's my turn to be the hero for you.

"n-no!" i yelled. faster than i've ever moved in my life, i grabbed jungkook's wrist and pulled him roughly towards me into a tight hug. as i'd hoped for, the momentum knocked us out of the window smoothly.

we were falling.

"t-tae, we might break the catcher!" he said finally letting his brace face fall. "why did you do that?"

"there's no way i would ever leave you there like that! we may not be on great terms but i care about you!" i replied firmly.

if i died right now, i wouldn't regret at least saving jungkook.

"... thank you, taehyung." he said and tightened the hug seeming to be bracing for impact.

we neared the ground, and i shifted us at the last moment so that i was the one to take the hit.

"agh!"

CHAPTER END

wow i'm really being relentless with these cliffhangers lmao

my piano recital is today so if i die i guess you guys are gonna be left on this cliffhanger forever bYE