40 | jeon jungkook

i sat in the silence of his hospital room, like i did everyday for the past month.

actually, it wasn't silence. the heart monitor provided a lovely metronome.

apparently he hit his head in just the right place when we landed to send him into a short coma. i was only knocked out for a few hours.

when i woke up a month ago, i was in my own hospital room. they'd informed me that taehyung was alive, and that i only had to stay for a few days. one, because of all the smoke i inhaled; and two, because taehyung had taken basically all the damage from fall.

i understood. we both fell at a high speed because of our combined weight, and he was the one to take the hit. that catcher didn't seem very soft, but it was definitely better than the ground.

his coma isn't expected to last very long, he already showed signs of waking up— it's the only thing that allowed me to not be fully consumed in grief.

seeing his sleeping face, after the fire, for the first time— made me feel more intensely than i'd expected. i struggled to control my emotions and tears, it was really shocking.

i assumed it to be some odd mix of guilt, relief, and awkwardness.

but over this past month, the intensity didn't dim...

every time i came here, all i could think of were his words. the feel of his arms around me as we fell out the window. his words. his smile right before we landed.

"... i care about you!"

the four words he'd firmly stated repeated in my head again, again, and again.

everyone involved in the fire situation has been given time off of work indefinitely until given further notice. many staff members had actually been on the more elderly side, so they didn't take the inhale of smoke well. some didn't take the fall well.

i was grateful that at least nobody died.

the clock struck 6PM.

"visitors, the visiting time has ended. you may return at 10AM if you please. visitors, the visiting time has ended. you may return at 10AM if you please."

sighing, i stood up.

'a full month, and you haven't waken up yet. please wake up soon, tae.' i thought. 'thank you for saving me.' i mentally added.

it wouldn't be long till he woke up, it could be any day now. small movements of the hand, and other small movements. once, he woke up for a few seconds but passed out again.

"i'll be back tomorrow, tae." my words landed on deaf ears, and i made my way home. i arrived to another box of what i assumed was fan mail from the company, and brought it inside. i told them to leave the gifts at the company.

i was shocked that after the first episode we already had a whole fan base— it might've been connected to our big statement of lgbtq+ pride.

these letters were the types of things that made me smile, the letters give us actors a motive to try even harder the next time. it makes us feel recognized.

however many of these were people paying their respects after the fire. they ask if we're all okay, etc.

i read each and every letter thoroughly and added them to my large box of read fan letters.

it would be rude to throw them away, right? or would it?

well, i save them anyways.

the next morning, i was getting ready to spend the day at taehyung's hospital room once again.

my phone pinged and i ignored it. i had told the other guys about what happened— they were there for me and visited while i was in my own hospital room, but now they keep telling me that i don't need to visit everyday.

i might be irrational at the moment, but i want to be there when he wakes up. i want to thank him right away for basically saving my life.

i got a call this time.

"hello?" i answered while walking out the door and locking it. "he's awake?" i dropped my keys and immediately bent down to pick them up. emotion swelled in my heart, and i rushed to get to the hospital asap.

"i'll be there as soon as i can."

CHAPTER END

I'M SORRY I REALLY DON'T MEAN TO LEAVE A CLIFFHANGER AT THE END OF EVERY CHAPTER IT JUST HAPPENS SKSKSKSKSLS

THANK YOU ALL FOR 5K I'M SO SHOCKED