Chapter Six

It's been a few weeks since that first day. Molly and Theo come every day to pick me up and drop me off to go to and from school since Mom has not come back yet from work. She sometimes does this, where she needs to go off for several days or weeks so I'm not surprised about that. She does keep Dad and I updated on her status and other stuff such as where she went to dinner and stuff. However, I wasn't able to tell her about the necklace yet. I want to save it to when she's back cause I feel it one of those situations where you need to talk about it face to face. 

I feel a hand touch my shoulder and I jump a little. I look who the hand belongs too and find Jack cocking his head towards the front. I turn around and find Mrs. Earnhardt looking at me with an eyebrow raised and hands on her hips. 

"Sorry" I mumble putting my head down suddenly feeling the heat in my cheeks. 

"Est-ce que tu peux répondre la question, Ms. Brown? (Can you answer the question, Ms. Brown?)" she said. I can feel her stare staring right at me and I shake my head. She sighs and returns back to the projector and continues to teach. 

I look back up and see Molly raising an eyebrow at me. I shake my head for what feels like the tenth time today and return my focus back to the front. 

A few moments later the bell rings and everyone gets up to leave. 

"Pas toi, Ms. Brown, j'ai besion de te parler (Not you, Ms. Brown, I need to talk to you)" Mrs. Earnhardt said. 

I sigh and grab my books and nod to Molly and Theo as they walk out. 

"I'll be waiting by the doorway," Jack said as he brushes past me.

That is another thing that happened, Jack has been 'escorting' me, you can say, to all my classes, literally. I don't know exactly why he does it and I tell him every time that he doesn't need too but he refuses to listen. That is another thing I learned, Jack is very stubborn. 

"You wanted to speak to me?" I ask as I stand in front of Mrs. Earnhardt's desk. 

"Yes, I wanted to speak to you about your grades. You are aware of the marks you've been getting recently in my class right?" she asks as she looks up from her papers as well as her red glasses that are sitting on her nose. 

"Um, yes" I answer shifting my weight from side to side. 

"Well, you know that if you don't improve, you won't be able to graduate with these marks," she said. 

"Yes I know, I'll try to do better," I said trying to look at everything but her. 

"There is no try, there is only do or don't in my class, Ms. Brown, do you understand that?" she asks looking straight at me. 

"Yes Mrs.Earnhardt" I replied nodding my head. 

"Well then I expect an improvement and zoning off isn't gonna help," she said leaning back into her chair handing me a package. 

"This a package that is going to help you improve your french, I expect it to be done by tomorrow and then I will see if I can boost your mark. Off you go," she said gesturing her hand to leave. 

I nod and take the package and head to the door where I see many kids crowded in the hallway. As I come out, I see Jack standing by the doorway leaning against the wall with one foot on the wall against his knee looking emotionless. Once he sees me his face softens and walk towards me.