Chapter Twenty Seven

Victoria's POV

"Jack?....... W-What's.....what's going on?" I said, weakly. 

I squint as the room comes into focus. I suddenly become aware of the many pairs of eyes on me. I blink a few times to get a sense of where I am. I rub my head to stop the loud banging ringing in my head, however, I notice that I'm attached to a wire that links up with a machine that monitors my heart stuff. 

"Vic?... Vic, can you hear me?" Jack said, rushing to my side. I turn to look at him as he grips my hand. 

"Yeah," I said, weakly, feeling my body drained. 

"Oh, thank, god! You scared me, babe" He said, relieved. I weakly smile and I feel my breathing get heavier. 

I look at his gorgeous face and see that he looks like he hasn't slept in days. Black circles cover his under eyes, his hair is a bit damp, probably from a shower and he's wearing new clothes. 

"How long have I been out?" I ask him a bit confused. 

"A day or so" He answers. 

"Okay, well I'm gonna back to sleep....." I said as I start to feel my eyelids go heavy. 

"As long as you wake up, yeah?" He said, his eyes pleading. I nod.

"Promise," I said before I start losing feeling in my body. I close my eyes and let the darkness overtake me. 

Jack's POV

"Promise," She said, before closing her eyelids. I hold onto her hand a little longer as a shiver of hope pulses through me. At least she woke up, even if it's for a minute, it gives me hope that she'll wake up again and for good this time.

"I think we should get the doctor," Jim said before leaving and getting him. 

"Didn't the doctor say she was in a coma? Cause if she did, then I don't think she would have woken up like that. It's more like she just past out" David said, bringing me back to reality. I tense and clench my jaw. 

"No shit, Sherlock," I said, rolling my eyes. I look at Lincoln and he looks lost in his thoughts. Before I can say anything to him, the doctor from before comes in behind Jim. We all turn around as he comes towards Vic. 

"You said she woke up?" the doctor asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"Yes, that's why we brought you here," Lincoln said rolling his eyes. The doctor doesn't respond but checks the machine thing. 

"Well, I'm sure she was in a coma. Instead of being in a true coma, which usually happens after traumatic brain injury, she's in what we call in a metabolic coma. This 'type' of coma usually happens to people who have had a near-death experience. They usually flow in and out of consciousness several times for hours, days, weeks at a time and in this case a couple of minutes" the doctor explains, looking at each of us. 

"So you're telling us that, she'll wake up for a period of time before she slips away back into her own mine?" Jim asks. 

"Exactly," the doctor said, nodding. I look towards her and see her sleeping figure on the bed. 

"How did this happen? Is their a cure? Will she ever wake up for good?" Lincoln asked, his expression worried. 

"Well, son, in her case, it was trauma. She hit her head pretty hard which caused the brain to swell. When the brain swells due to trauma, the fluid starts to push up against the skull which eventually causes the brain to push down on the Reticular Activating System -the part of the brain that's controls the awareness and arousal of the person."  the doctor said.