Chapter Twenty Two

I feel two warms arms wrap around me and pull me off the ground and I'm suddenly brought back to reality and I become aware of all the screaming and bullet shots filling my ears. I see Jack half drag/half carry me away from where I was standing. I look at his face and see nothing but determination and protectiveness on his face. I remember a gunshot going off, not knowing who shot it or who got shot. 

I'm slowly regaining the feeling in my legs and I try to keep pace with Jack's long strides. But I stumble and plummet forward. I brace myself but I never actually hit the ground because two arms grab a hold of my waist and lift me off the ground over there shoulder. All I see is the back of my boyfriend who is currently running towards the car. I lift my head up to relieve the blood pouring into my brain and I see Jess and George running behind us. 

Next thing I know, I'm being put down in the car. Jack's face gives nothing away but he scrunches his nose together -indicating he's worried-  as he quickly slides into the driver's seat and turns on the car and speed down the road. I noticed the nose thing when that Luke guy came to my house the other night, it was a habit for him whenever he was worried. I feel tears streaming down my cheeks and quickly wipe them away, feeling embarrassed. Jack grabs my hand and places it on the console in between us, stroking the back of my hand with his thumb. 

"It's okay. It'll be okay" He said softly, glancing at me briefly, his eyes softening before starting the car and leaving the catastrophe behind us. 

"I'm sorry" I mumbled, turning towards him, my vision starting to get blurry. Streams of wet droplets start pouring down my cheek, dripping down to my shirt. 

"Hey, you have nothing to be sorry for," He said, glancing at me, his hand squeezing mine. I shake my head.

"I froze and lost sense of where I was and I didn't listen to you and run. It just feels like if something happened to you or any of the others, I would never forgive myself for it" I said trying, to hold myself together. 

"No, it's not your fault, babe. You don't need to be sorry for anything, alright? None of us got hurt, kay? Don't beat yourself up thinking about the what ifs. You had a breakdown, it reminded you if the past, I know how that feels, alright? Don't be sorry, you have nothing to be sorry about. If anyone needs to say sorry, it should be me. I dragged you into this, so it's my fault, not yours." Jack explained making little circles on the back of my hand with his thumb. 

"It's not your fault. I wanted to come, you didn't force me, no one did, it was my choice. Don't blame it on you" I said before sniffing, trying to stop the continuous tears flowing down my face. 

"How about we make a deal? I won't blame myself, for putting you in danger and you don't blame yourself for your little breakdown okay?" He suggests, glancing at me as he turns onto the highway. 

I nod, my throat tightening while trying not to think about what happened back there. Pictures of Olivia and what happened back in Omaha start to fill my mind. Her being alive for one second and the next she's on the ground, a red puddle around her. Guilt and pain swell inside of me, getting ready to burst like a firework. I gulp and take deeper breaths. I close my eyes, hoping that it would help clear my mind, but when I do, all I see is Olivia on the ground, surrounded by others just like her, lifeless on the ground. I see the people who came that day, those murderous green and blue orbs under their black masks covering their face. The image of her body on the ground with others around each of them shot in different places. Their screams and gunshots fill the air, making me fling my eyes open. 

I jump a little as Jack horns at a guy who cut in front of us without putting on their blinker. I gulp, it's in the past now. That didn't happen, this night didn't happen. None of this happened. At least that's what I tell myself. I can't afford to live something like this. Constantly running and hiding from the past, cause one day, it's gonna a catch up to us sooner or later. I sighed running a hand through my hair.