Chapter Thirty Eight

"Jess, you good?" I ask her as I snap out of my own mind and head towards her. I put my hand on her shoulder and she tenses under my touch. 

"Get away from me," She said, snapping at me as she steps backwards, away from me. I blink several times, standing in shock. 

"Hey, Jess, it's fine," Molly said, going to comfort her. Jess doesn't react and lets her put her arm around her, bringing her into a side hug. 

"Jess-" I said, taking a step towards her. 

"Don't?" She said, putting her hand up to tell me to stop as she takes a step away from me. I bite my lip as I  feel like something drops in my stomach like someone just dropped a big stone in it. 

"Jess wh-" I try again, trying to figure out what's wrong with her. 

"GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME!" She snaps as she steps away from Molly and starts to walk backwards. People start to give us curious stares as they walk by. 

"What are you looking at?!?!? HUH? Go back to your pathetic little life" Jess said at a middle-aged man in his late forties as he looks surprised. 

"Jess, what the fuck? Vic didn't do anything to you and nor did that guy" Molly said, defending both me and that man as she takes a step towards her.

 I stand in my spot, looking to the ground trying to find out why Jess is acting like this. It all started when Dylan showed up and talked to us. I know Jess was involved in some drugs and shit and Dylan was also involved with other shady shit like that but it was a big industry, I doubt they know each other. When Dylan showed up, he didn't recognize her cause if he did, he would have made a comment but he didn't, making me doubt he knows her. I can't figure out why Jess is being so shady and weird. She completely froze and she went pale when she saw him, making me also wonder if she saw him before or saw him do something. He's done unspeakable things that make me regret why I dated him in the first place. He's such a dickhead and I don't why I was so blind to not see it. 

"You have no idea what she did," Jess said pointing at me before turning around and sprinting away and out of the mall. 

"JESS" Molly shouts before sighing and rubbing circles around her neck. People around us continue to stare at us as they walk away. She groans and turns back to me, her red curls hitting her neck. 

"I don't know what's gotten into her," Molly said, coming up to me. I lift my head to look at her, the muscles in my jaw working as I try to figure what Jess meant. 

Molly senses my confusion cause she places a hand on my shoulder, "You know she didn't mean it right? Just give it a day and she'll come back" 

I shake my head, "Did you see the fear and rage in her eyes, M? I don't think she'll come back. When Dylan came, it reminded her of something. I'm not certain of what it is but I think it might have rung a bell back in the day when she was doing the whole drug thing" 

Molly instantly puts a hand to her mouth, "Don't you dare speak of those days. I feel like they're a curse and they'll come back to haunt us" She said shivering as she remembers the first times she met Jess. 

"Okay... what can you take your hand off my mouth," I said, my voice muffled. 

"Oh yeah, sorry," She said, taking her hand away. "Should we call the guys or just keep this to ourselves?" 

"They'll find out. She probably's going to talk to George and he'll most likely tell the others" I replied, running a hand through my hair.

 I feel the frustration rise like steam as I continue to struggle to figure out why she snapped like that. An idea pops into my mind as I take out my phone. I need to find out more about Jess time becoming clean from the drugs she took. Obviously, I can't talk to George, Jace never answers to shit like this, Molly won't talk about it, leaving me only Jack and Lincoln. I clench my jaw as I decide who I should ask, which means revealing the encounter with Dylan. If I tell Jack, he'll get all super protective mode, which I find kinda hot yet annoying at the same time. But at the same time, if I tell him, it'll take him away from the hard work he's doing. From taking care of the twins to getting ready for his grandparents' death anniversary, which is coming up in a few weeks. I don't want to mess him up or put more of my problems on him. I sigh as my decision becomes clearer. I open the chat with Lincoln and start typing.