Chapter Eight

"Do you guys race?" I ask Lincoln, Jace and George as they sit on the white modern Danish design couch engrossed into the basketball game with many snacks on the table in front of them. Whereas I'm sitting on the white loveseat and the girls are somewhere in the kitchen grabbing something to eat. 

"Of course not, we're not good at that, only Jack is. We just bet on him and make a few grand a night." Jace replies once it's intermission. 

"A few grand?" I said raising an eyebrow. 

"Yep, few grand. How else do you think Jack can afford this house as well as us not having any part-time jobs" Jace replied taking a sip of his beer. 

"Jack owns this house?" I ask looking towards Jack. He nods and returns to look at his phone. I nod and decide not to press any further. 

I know that his grandparents gave it to him but I thought that his parents would own it. But I guess I'm wrong. So then what's up with his parents? Doesn't he live with them? He never mentioned any parents so........... I don't know. He never talks about his family or his personal life, which makes me think he doesn't want to share. 

Molly and Jess walk into the living room and Molly grabs the remote control and shuts off the TV. 

"Hey, the game hasn't ended yet!" Lincoln said pointing towards the TV. 

"Yeah, but it is time to go. Unless you want to sit here while the rest of us go" Molly answers putting her hands on her hip. Lincoln grunts and gets up and yawns. I look at my phone, it's 8 pm. I frown, why is it so late?

"You coming?" Jack asks as he gets up. I lock my phone and nod, following everyone else out the door. 

"Vic, you wanna come in mine?" Lincoln asks as I put on my jacket. 

"She going with me in the Camaro not the Mustang" Jack said as he puts on his black leather jacket on top of his white long sleeve shirt that shows off his biceps. He pairs it off with black jeans and black Vans. I look at the two boys, Lincoln is wearing a white Gucci sweater with Adidas joggers and some black Nike's. 

"Jack is kinda right. As much as I want to ride in Mustang; when it comes to the Camaro, well you probably already know the answer" I said looking into Lincoln's green eyes. He nods and disappointment takes over his face, but then turns around and heads to his car. 

I sigh and run a hand through my long brown hair. It's nothing personal, it's just I do genuinely prefer the Camaro over the Mustang any day.

"Come on," Jacks said holding the door out for me. 

I get in and he shuts the door and makes his way to the driver's seat. I put on my seatbelt while he starts the car. The engine roars and settles on a soft purr as we make our way out of the driveway. As we start to drive, Molly's car is behind us followed by Lincoln's, Jace's and George's. 

"How did you even find out about this anyway?" I ask Jack as we enter the highway. 

"Well, my grandpa introduced it to Jace, George, Lincoln and I when we were about ten. He would take us there to watch them race" He starts and I remain silent for him to continue. 

"I don't know why he did, I mean there were college kids and gangs everywhere, but my grandpa was very popular there and was like their champion back in his days. So everyone respected him. He was the one who taught me how to drive and by fifteen I was there every Friday, racing for cash. That was basically how my grandpa made his money before he got a job. My grandma was always worried when we went. She never really approved of it, but as long as it was something that made me happy, then she was happy" He explains, pain flashing through his eyes as he talked about them.