Chapter Thirty Nine

You know when you meet someone and you just feel like there is something sketchy about them? 

Well, that's how I feel right now. Sitting in front of David as Mum tries to keep me in the conversation is making me feel uneasy. He gives off this vibe that makes me feel sick in the stomach. I don't know how Mum and Dad can't sense it..... it's probably because they've been drinking. I just feel like there something more about David that he's not telling us, which is making me doubt he'll keep up his politeness act for long. 

"So kiddo, how's school going?" Dad asked once he puts the phone done after ordering pizza to eat. 

"Um... Good" I answer. I feel David eye me with calculating eyes like he's trying to figure something out. 

"Tell us more about your friends. Especially the boy who comes to pick you up every day.... What's his name? He came over a while ago?" Mum asked, putting her hand on my arm. 

"Jack and..... yeah.. there's nothing much to say, really," I said, trying to get them to change the subject. I don't want to talk a lot about my 'social' life in front of David, especially with him being all sketchy. Not only that but every time, including right now, he's always been wearing the same black suit every single time. It makes me wonder if he actually has another pair of clothes. 

"Oh come on, honey there is always something to talk about," Mum said, prompting me to continue. "How about that Jack guy? When are your father and I gonna meet him?" 

"Uh... whenever you want to?" I said, sounding uncertain. "We've only been dating for about a month or so."

"That's fine, I still want to meet this handsome boy of yours," Mum said, lightly hitting my arm. "Isn't that right, Jim?"

Dad clears his throat before answering, "U-Yeah", nodding his head. I gulp, hoping to not continue this discussion with a possible serial killer. 

"Sure I'll ask him," I said, glancing at her before shifting position in my seat so my other leg crosses over the other one. 

"Anyway, how about we play a little board game while we wait?" Dad suggests, noticing my uncomfortableness. 

"Yeah, you up for it?" Mum said, asking David. 

"Sure, why not" He answered, shrugging before taking a sip of his wine. 

"Game of Life?" Dad suggested bringing back the board game to the table. 

"Okay," I answered as he took a seat beside me. He opens the board and we set up the game, David occasionally glancing at me with calculating eyes. 

I bite my lip, trying to ignore the hard stares he throws at me. I focus on what makes me happy, trying to distract myself. A picture of Jack smiling appears in my mind. His eyes sparkling and his smile showing off his perfect white teeth instantly brings a smile to my face. Memories of his deep laughter ring through my mind, making butterflies flutter around my stomach. Even if he isn't here, he still makes me feel all tingly and good inside. The heat from his body and how his hands trace along my body sends shivers all along it. Just the thought of him instantly brings the joy and smile to me. 

"Okay, highest number goes first" Mum said, bringing me back to reality, the image of Jack's beautiful smile sitting in the back of mind 

About twenty minutes later, the doorbell rings, indicating the pizza is here. Dad hands me a twenty and I get up to answer it. I open the door and I feel myself freeze. 

"Pizza? Two medium Hawaiian pizza, darling" Dylan said, holding out the pizza. He's dressed in a red uniform with a red cap that has the pizza's place logo on it. I look out the door and see the pizza delivery car, an unconscious half-naked guy in the passenger seat.