Chapter Thirty One

"You do realize if this continues I'll be forced to hold you back" Ms Earnhardt said, dropping the papers on her desk and leaning back in her chair, looking at me above her red framed glasses. 

"I know, Ms... I know, it's just a lot has happened this past week and I know I haven't been keeping up.... it's just that....um.... I need another shot.. please" I said, practically begging her to give another shot at the test. 

"I do understand what happened to Mr. Collins and you is unfortunate but at least he hands in assignments on time and his marks don't budge." Ms Earnhardt said, emphazing the last part. 

"I know... it's just that-" I start. 

"Don't worry Ms, I'll help her. She hasn't had a lot of time to do her homework with all the medical check ups and recovery, but I'll make sure that she hands in her assignments on time. However, I do agree with her and think that she should be given another chance at this test. I can give her some tips and tutor her a little bit more to make sure she at least pass this test" Jack said, cutting me off as he comes to my side. 

"I do appreciate your offer, Jack. However, I do understand that Ms Brown here is undergoing some unfortunate stuff but she shouldn't be relying on you to keep her on track. In addition, it would be unfair for me to give her a second chance on this test when there are other students who've also failed this test. so why should I give Victoria another chance but not anyone else?" Ms Earnhardt said, leaning forward on her elbow. I open my mouth to protest but Jack holds up his hand, silencing me. 

"I understand that Ms but I don't think that's what Victoria is trying to say. With all do respect, I'm sure Victoria here, is only one to talk to you about a re-test, am I right?" Jack asked, raising an eyebrow, challenging her. I look at him, ready to tell him to stop and back off but the glint in his eyes tell me something otherwise. Ms Earnhardt adjust herself in her chair before nodding. 

"Well, then I think that Victoria, here, showed initiative and responsibility above everyone else that failed, to come up to you speak to you about her mark. By showing these characteristics I feel as a fellow student that she should be rewarded and to show as an example to other students here in Riverfield High what responsibility and initiative looks like" Jack answered, gesturing to me. Confidence and pride runs through his voice as he speaks, making everyone around him easy to persuade. He has this sense of authority and ease when he talks, making him so irresistible. 

Ms. Earnhardt looks in Jack's eyes as they challenge her to fight back. After a few moments of silence, Ms Earnhardt sighs and leans back in her chair. I fight off a grin as I know that I got what I wanted. 

"Fine, Mr. Collins has a point. I'll give you a second chance, however this your last straw Ms. Brown. I've given you a re-test on practically every test and this is your last time. If you fail, you fail, no excuses. Do you understand?" Ms Earnhardt said, falling into Jack's charms. 

"I understand. I can promise you that I won't fail this time" I said, nodding, feeling anxious to hug and kiss Jack and thank him for the help. Ms. Earnhardt nods and gestures us to leave. I thank her on the way out. 

As we enter the hallway, there is only a few kids loitering around and outside. I take out my phone and read the time; 3:10 pm. It's been ten minutes since school ended and I feel bad, making Jack wait for me since he's suppose to pick up the twins. 

"Thanks by the way for helping me back there" I said, looking up at him. He looks down at me smiling before pecking me on the lips. 

"No problem" He replied, draping an arm around my shoulder as we walk towards the parking lot. We head through the doors and the cold autumn wind hits my face, making me glad that I wore a very warm sweater. the temperature in this time of the year is very similar to Nebraska's. However I hear the winter here is very different compared to back home. A lot more snow and much longer winters and much colder.