Death Of A (Former) Bachelor

Everything freezes around me, my brain running at a million miles per second. I begin to think back on memories I've had. Meeting Nate for the first time in my sophomore year of high school. He was a freshman and we both joined the same sports teams. We didn't really get along until we were both involved in a stupid prank. A group of football players, including Nate and I, moved all of the teachers cars in between trees. We were the only ones caught though. We served detention together for a month, and we found out we share quite a bit of the same interests. That was my junior year and his sophomore year.

After bonding in detention, we were inseparable. Wherever one went, the other followed. Parties, dances, academic events, we never missed one. They called us the "Milestone Misfits", after the name of our school and the fact that we never really fit in. I remember a certain time at a party, he had been flirting with another guys girl. They managed to get him outside and he was getting beat by five guys. I found them and started to fight the group off with him. We both got our asses kicked but, I knew he would do the same for me.

Even after I graduated, I didn't miss a single thing with him. I waited a full year to go to college so we could go together. The summer before we left was amazing. We went down to Vegas for a while and had a great, if illegal, time. By the time we hit college, we had calmed down a bit and got serious about our futures. He was studying to become an engineer working for a big construction company. I was studying to become a history professor. We had mapped out where we could go so we could always be together. However that's all ending as I now watch as a flaming sword slices straight through his head.

Everything begins to move again as I fall to me knees, silent. I could see Charlyse and Viktoria screaming but, I couldn't hear anything, my world had been shattered. Sound slowly creeps back to my ears as I realize what is truly happening, my best friend just died. "Amaterasu!" Caoimhe screams at the lady who killed Nate. "We had it under control!" she continues to scream. "He was going to kill her, don't make excuses little one" she says in a haughty Japanese accent and flies away. "Come on, we have to keep moving" Taylor says coldly, walking away. "Gimme a minute" I say with a deep breath.

I stand up and walk towards Nate's corpse and close his eyes. "See you in the afterlife brother" I say, choking back tears. Viktoria was a mess, but we needed to continue onward. We open the doors to the hall and find it empty. "We need to get to the Main Council chamber, follow me" Caoimhe says rushing down the hall. We arrive at the main chamber and bust down the doors to find one person there. "Speaker, why aren't you defending the city" Caoimhe asks the man in the room. "Oh, I was making sure that the Hall was secure, you know how it is" he snickers. "Where's the Progenitor" She asks him. "He's resting, I told him that we would take care of this invasion" The speaker says.

"Speaking of the invasion, how did our defenses not destroy them" Caoimhe asks the Speaker. "Well, maybe they are more powerful than we thought" He says. I walk to the portal way to the Progenitors room but the Speaker stops me. "I wouldn't do that" he says, holding me with telekinesis. "Hey, let go of me" I say struggling. "Speaker, what are you do-" Caoimhe starts to say but realizes the betrayal. "You let them in" she says coldly. "Alright alright I admit it I let the cultists in" He says, squeezing me. "Why would you do this to Alharis" Caoimhe badgers him. "I'm leading the cult you idiot!" The speaker yells out while crushing me harder.