Chapter 2

~Marissa~

Silvia taught us how to properly dine when in the presence of royalty. Somewhere in the lesson Prince Nathan entered. We all had to stand and bow when he entered.

"Hello ladies. I hope that you all had a wonderful first night here at the palace. I would love to get to know each of you separately. I will be asking everyone over one at a time. Silvia you may resume your lesson," Prince Nathan said.

Prince Nathan looked right at me. We locked eyes for a brief second before I looked down blushing furiously. He walks over to a small couch on the other side of the room. We all faced forward, and Silvia returned to her lesson.

"Miss Abbot," one of the people at the couch said.

A girl with light brown hair that fades into a dark blond stands up and makes her way to the couch. She is small, but looks strong. She is wearing a pale blue dress that cuts off at her ankles, and shoes that look like their ready to break her ankles.

Silvia continues. The lesson is pretty repetitive. "Miss Goodman."

"That's me," Liliana whispers as she stands and makes her way to the couch. Now it's just Charlotte and I left at the table.

Liliana comes back to our table with a small smile on her face. It looked like it went well. A few more girls go back before they call back Charlotte. "Miss Joss."

Charlotte stands up gives us a smile, and we give her a supportive one back. She sits at the couch and Silvia still continues.

"Okay, I believe I have covered everything for today's dinning. Now please practice with the girls sitting at your table," Silvia says.

Liliana and I look at each other, then down at the place settings in front of us.

"It's now or never," Liliana says.

"True," I say.

We go over everything Silvia went over the last half hour. Charlotte comes back, and we fill her in on what she had missed.

About twenty minutes pass before I am called back to talk with Prince Nathan. "Miss Singer."

I stand, and give a nervous smile to Liliana and Charlotte. "Good luck," Charlotte said.

I turn, and start walking to the couch. Prince Nathan smiled at me as I made my way over to the couch.

Once I got into earshot he said, "Marissa right?"

I smile. "Yep. That's me. Nathan right."

He smiles, and motions for me to sit next to him. "I just have a few questions. Don't worry too much."

"Okay."

"So what do you typically do in your free time?"

"Well, it kind of depends on the day. Usually I go to a friend's house with some of my friends, and we just talk. Other days I go home and practice."

"What do you practice?"

"Um," I laugh a little, "dance, my music."

"That's right. Weren't you in the ballet a few months ago?"

I laugh. "Yeah that was me.  Performing arts are important to my mother. So it was such a huge honor to be invited to dance for this company. We had no idea what my brother and I were in for though."

"I can imagine. I better send you back."

I nod my head and stand to leave. I begin to make my way back to my table getting a few stares from the other girls as I sat down next to Charlotte and Liliana. They were both smiling at me with cheesy grins.

"What?" I ask.

"Did you see the way he was looking at you? He's totally in love," Charlotte said.

"No. No he's not. He's just trying to be nice."

"No. He hasn't looked at any other girl the way he's been looking at you. I've been watching. He steals little glances at you."

I look over at him, and he's deep in conversation with another girl who's name I failed to catch. There was no way he was in love with me. I look back down at the place setting in front of me again. "Okay. Even if he was in love with me, that doesn't change anything. After meeting other girls today he may find someone else. We've only had one encounter, and that was today," I say.

Silvia walks up to our table. "I hop you ladies are working on table manners, and not on gossip," she said.

"Yes ma'am," Lilana said.

Silvia smiles as she leaves our table. 

"That means practice," I say.

We giggle a little, and go back to going over everything Silvia had taught us in the last half hour.