Chapter 10

~Marissa~

It was dinner when the doctor came back in. She cleared me for activities tomorrow which was good. I was still going to have to lay in bed until morning just to be safe. Everly came back in just when the doctor was leaving.

She set a sliver tray down on the nightstand with my dinner on it. All three of my maids found a chair to sit in, and they were working on something.

I reach over to grab a biscuit from the tray, and bite down. Once I chew and swallow I ask, "What are you working on?"

"A new dress. Every girl is getting a new one for Friday. Everyone is going to be on the Report," Luna says.

I eat the last bit of the biscuit, and continue eating my dinner. I watch as Luna, Everly, and Jadyin work on a beautiful red dress. From here the fabric looks like it's covered in diamonds. It shines with every movement.

"That fabric is amazing," I say finishing off my water.

"It was recommended by our boss Anne who was your mother's maid in the Selection. She gave us the designs they used for her dresses, and fabrics that went with them. The colors complimented your mother's complexion that is nearly identical to yours," Luna began.

"So we took fabrics similar to the originals, and modified the designs to make something just as beautiful as those dresses," Jadyin finished.

I smiled. Despite the fact I sometimes don't like being compared to my mom, I was glad we were so similar. We now have some sort of advantage with my designs.

Everly takes something out of her pocket, and walks over to hand it to me. I look down at the paper to see an elegant red dress. It flares out at the hips, but has good coverage at the top of my body.

"If you flip it over you can see what it was inspired by," Everly says.

So I flip the paper over to see a beautiful sky blue dress sketched out. The two dresses were so similar in build, yet so different in design. I was in shock of how elegant they both were. Attached by a paper clip was a photo of my mother. She was wearing the blue dress, and her hair was nicely pulled up with her red curls framing her face. She looked so beautiful in the photo.

"Wow. These are both incredible," I say.

"Yeah. It's going to take a lot of work, but it will be done by Friday," Luna said.

I hand the paper back to Everly. She folds it back up, and places it back in her pocket. She returns to her seat where she continues sewing the dress.

The maids and I sit and talk for a long time before I begin to yawn. Luna looks over her shoulder at a clock.

"It's getting late Miss. I think it's time for you to get to bed," Luna says.

I nod my head. But before I sink all the way down under my covers I say one last thing. "Please. Just call me Marissa. If we're going to be spending time together I won't be able to stand being called Miss," I say.

"But it's protocol," Jadyin begins.

"Just call me Marissa when it's just us in here. I won't be able to stand it. Please. Bend the rules a little."

Everly smiles and sighs. "We'll only call you Marissa if it's just us in here, and no one else. We won't risk calling you Marissa outside of the room though," Everly says.

"I'm not asking you to call me Marissa outside of the the room. Just in here for us to hear."

"Deal. If we get in trouble it's your fault," Luna said with a small laugh.

I smile. "Thank you."

"Anytime. Now go to bed. Tomorrow will be busy."

I comply and sink into the covers. My maids begin to clean up, and prepping the room for tomorrow. They leave one by one. Everly is the last one to leave.

"Good night, Marissa," she say flicking off the light.

"Good night, Everly," I say as she closes the door.

I roll over to my side and fall asleep in moments.