Chapter 46

~Nathan~

I was back down in the infirmary. Marissa's family was all there. A girl was holding onto America, and a boy had his hand on her shoulder. America had her head in her hands. I couldn't tell if she was still crying, but her shoulders shook.

My father had a hand on my shoulder in a comforting way. A doctor came out of a room. Along with a nurse.

"Please I think it would be best if you all sat down to hear this," the doctor said. I recognized him right away. It was Doctor Ashlar.

"Is everything okay?" My father asks as we all sit down.

"Depends on what your definition of okay is. Miss Singer is not dead, but she is also not completely alive either. She is in what we call a coma. She has no feeling in her body, she is in a sleep. Very traumatic experiences often trigger this. These things are hard to predict. Such as when the person will wake up or if the person will ever wake up at all. We tried everything, but nothing could have prevented this. I'm sorry. We will keep her breathing, and heart beating for as long as can. I'm sorry, but we tried everything."

America cried out. I wanted to too, but my tears had been expended the last few days. Instead I just sat there, completely lost in my thoughts.