Chapter 23

~Nathan~

It was lunchtime. Marissa would be leaving after lunch. My father had arranged for a plane to Carolina and back from Carolina. Her trip would give me time to get to know some of the other girls here.

I make my way down to lunch with a piece of paper. It's a list of girls who I was sending home. There were seven girls. Five sick ones, and two other girls I knew weren't right for me.

I open the doors, and everyone is in there. Everyone except Marissa. She had been excused from all of her meals today.

The meal was silent until near the end of the meal I stand up.

"Ladies May I please have your attention. I have made a decision to do my first elimination. I have only seven girls going home. These girls will be leaving tomorrow morning after breakfast. These seven girls include Claire Finch, Liliana Goodman, Alexandra Nalls, Harper Thence, Hailey Emmasil, Eva Helan, and Aurora Pallmant. I would like to thank you all for your participation."

Some of the eliminated girls begin to cry, others run out of the room. I feel bad for eliminating them, but it had to be done.

I sit back down and finish my lunch in silence. My father gives me a reassuring look, as does my mother. I return it with a half hearted smile.

Suddenly I'm not longer hungry. I stand and leave the dining room, and go to the front doors. I knew this is where Marissa was going to be, I just didn't expect Miss Marlee to be there.

"Miss Marlee, what are you doing here," I ask trying not to be rude.

"Your father asked me to go with Marissa back home. Don't worry, he's also sending plenty of guards with us. Marissa and her mother are going to be safe," Miss Marlee says.

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me. Thank your father."

Just then Marissa comes walking down the hall. She has a elegant purple dress on, and her hair is pulled back simply. She truly looked beautiful. I had no words for her. She must've seen my expression and smiled. I just couldn't help myself.

"Prince Nathan," Marissa said with a courtesy.

I gave a slight nod. "I came down to see you off. Be safe. I will see you in a few days," I say. I take her hand in mine, and kissed it.

"Miss Singer, we must go before we are late," Miss Marlee says from behind us.

I quickly give her a hug, and she returns it. I smile, but then remember she has to get going. I release her, and her and Miss Marlee leave. I stand and watch from the doors as the two get into the sleek black limo, and finally drive off to the airport.

These next few days are going to be the hardest, but I will try and make them count.