Chapter 45

~Nathan~

I was in my room again. It scared me at first, but then I remember the events from last night. The heart monitor, the doctors. At one point they had pronounced her dead.

I wanted it so badly to be a bad dream. That she wasn't dead. That she would be playing her piano in her room. Now those soft melodies could never be found in the palace again. Never again would her laugh ring out. Never would I see that beautiful smile.

She was gone. All of the future plans we had would never take place. All because of one person. Kriss. I wanted so badly for her to be dead now. Mother or not.

Mila is to be returned home today. She had her punishment in private. I had no idea what her punishment ended up being, but there was no doubt that she would be in a lot of pain for a long time.

I pull the blankets up to my chin, and let the warmth of it consume my body. Here I was safe, and the pain was forgotten. Only to remember what had happened.

Light began to filter through my curtains. It was as if it was telling me to get up, and live. I roll over to the right side of the bed, and begin to go through the nightstand. I pull out a red velvet box. Opening it I find the ring. My engagement ring that was meant for Marissa. Tears roll down my cheeks just thinking about it.

The ring had two diamond hearts on a silver band. There were small vines engraved that connected the two hearts. It was truly beautiful, and made just for her. I would never get to see it on her finger.

I place the box open on the pillow beside me. I gaze at the ring imaging what my life will now be like without Marissa.

I must've fallen asleep because the next thing I knew my father was shaking me awake.