Chapter 16

~Marissa~

Nathan and I quickly pull apart to look who opened the door. We both turn to find Prince Ben and Queen Kriss standing in the door.

"I told you he was in here," Ben says.

"Nathan, why are you in here? We've been looking all over for you," Queen Kriss says.

"I was on a date, and this was the most private place we could find. Do you need me?" Nathan asks moving away from me.

"Yes. Alison has been asking for you. She's in the hospital wing."

"Okay. I'll go down and see her. Can you give me a few minutes? I need to talk to Marissa for a minute."

Queen Kriss sighs, and looks reluctant to leave us, but soon both Queen Kriss, and Prince Ben leave us. Nathan turns back to me and gives a wary smile.

"I'm sorry about that. Please be safe. Don't trust them. I don't want to lose you."

"I will. Now you better go see your sister," I say.

"Do you want to come with me? I know she really likes you."

"No. I feel like I shouldn't. Besides, Charlotte, and Liliana want to talk to me about missing yesterday."

"Ah. Already made some friends?"

"A few."

We both share a laugh. "Be careful. I'll see you later."

He gives me a quick kiss on my hand, and he leaves. I follow soon after. After I leave the safe room the door closes behind me. I jump as I hear the thick metal door comes to a close. Turning back around, I hope I remember my way back to my room. As I turn the corner I find Prince Ben leaning against the wall.

My heart begins to race as I pass him. I try and look as calm as possible as I pass him. Letting out a sigh of relief as I pass him, I continue to make my way to my room.

Only I'm not alone this time. I hear shoes following me in the hall. I give a small glance back to find Prince Ben behind me. I don't pick up my pace, I stay calm, and try and look as natural as possible. Only he speeds up, and comes to a walk next to me. My heart continues to race.

"I heard what my brother said to you in the safe room," he says.

"Oh?" I ask. How much did he hear? I assume he's going to play dumb.

"You know he doesn't really love you. He says that to every girl to win them over, only to break their hearts by eliminating them. I've seen him do it before."

"What makes you say that?"

"I saw you two kiss. He'll make you last until the end, make you feel special, then eliminate you on live television for everyone in Illéa to see. He doesn't really care about you."

My heart stops. He could be telling the truth, or he could be lying to get under my skin. My stomach plummets with the thought.

"Okay. Why do you have a problem with what happened. I could care less if I won the crown or not. Royalty doesn't make a person."

"So you're saying if he did break your heart you wouldn't be completely devastated?"

"Oh I would. But crown or no crown, I'll love him the same."

I pick up my pace to make it to my room faster. Ben continues to follow me no matter how fast I walk.

"But you know Miss Singer, I'll love you, and I won't break your heart on national television."

"Let me stop you there. I didn't sign up for your Selection. I signed up for Prince Nathan's. So if there's one person I'm going to love during this it's going to be Prince Nathan. So good day Prince Ben."

I twist right there, and leave him speechless behind me. Man was my heart racing. I had to clench my fists to keep from shaking. My stomach lurched with every movement I made. Everything aches from my head to my toes.

Soon I did make it back to my room. I closed the door, and pressed my back to it. Closing my eyes tight I couldn't help but think about what Ben had said. I knew that Nathan had to at least try and love every girl here. But with me he just seemed different. More relaxed, confident, and comfortable. It seemed too hard to think that he would break my heart on national television. If he would tell me why, and made me understand why he didn't pick me, then it wouldn't be a shock.

I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. My heart ached with every kind of pain imaginable. Deciding against curling into a ball on the floor right in front of the door, I moved to the bed, and laid down there.

I stared at the ceiling for a while thinking. Too many thoughts traveled through my head as I laid there. It wasn't until the door swung open, and my three maids came through the door carrying a large bag. I sit up to get a better look at what they're doing.

Luna spotted me first. "Miss Singer!" Luna exclaimed.

Jadyin, and Everly turned to see me sitting on the bed.

"We're so sorry Miss. Are we disturbing you?" Everly asks hanging up the large bag.

"Not at all. I was just thinking," I say watching them mess with the large bag. "What's that?"

"Oh. It was supposed to be a surprise for when you came back from the Women's Room. It's your dress for The Report tonight. We need to finish a few things on it, but it's ready to try on, and be fitted."

"May I see it?" Now I really wanted to see the dress. From the photos, and drawings that I saw it looks to be stunning.

Everly and Luna move to the back of the bag where the zipper was. I hear them unzip it, and the bag fell to the floor. In its place was a stunning red dress.