Chapter 39

~Nathan~

My father had moved Marissa's family into the palace. He already seemed happier. Sometimes I would see her mother walk down the halls, and think it was Marissa.

It has been about two days since I last saw Marissa on the screen, and no improvement on her whereabouts. My father had been in many meetings, hopefully about the recent attacks.

Deciding not to mope all day in my room again, I decide to find my grandmother. Maybe she could help me with this. I travel the empty halls until I come to her room. I knock and she answers.

"Nathan. Come on in," she said opening the door wider.

I don't really remember what we talked about. All I know is that somehow I ended up crying, and my grandmother was holding my head to her chest. She was soothing me. "They'll find her. Don't worry," she said softly.

"It's not that. It's my mother. Why would she do this? Steal Ben, poison Alisa, kidnap and nearly murder Marissa. I don't even think she's my mother anymore," I sobbed.

"It will all be fine Nathan. We'll find both of them. Your father will deal with Kriss. All we can do is wait."

———————————————————————————
~Three Days Later~

Five days have gone by since the call. Five days of pure agony. There has still been no improvement on Marissa.

Suddenly a few guards start to run down the hall to the Conference Room. I stop one of them before they get too far ahead of me.

"Excuse me, but where are you going?" I question him.

"King Maxon has ordered us there right away," he says.

A maid runs up to me, out of breath. "Your father has commanded you to come to the Conference Room at once," she panted out.

"Thank you," I reply, and run after the guards.

I shove my way through the guards until I find my father, and America sitting at the table. The screen is on again. On it is Kriss, Marissa, and two other people. America brings her hands to her mouth, and begins to cry at the sight of her daughter. My father looks pained, but the covers it with fury.

"What do you want Kriss?" he demands through gritted teeth.

"Well hello America. Maxon dear did you think that I was oblivious to your correspondences between America. Do you think I was oblivious during the Harvest Festival in Carolina. I knew all about it. That you snuck away during the day to be with her. Then at night you snuck away to be with her. I'm not as dumb as you think. My only question though is why did you pick me? If you loved America so much during the Selection, why me? Why me if all you did was send her letters during our marriage. Do you think I didn't know about that scrapbook from all those years ago that you sent her? And America, did you think that fire that killed your husband was an accident?" Kriss said.

America straightened, only to break down in sobs again. "Before I go I'd like to introduce you to someone. Dear, this is Ben. He's been here for many years. Many more than what you know about," Kriss says one last time.

Then the screen goes black. "Did you find the signal?" my father asks the guards.

"Yes. We are unscrambling the code, and looking for an exact location now." After a few moments of silence he says, "We have a location on the prince and Marissa."

"Good. Now get ready, you leave immediately."

They nod, and leave the room. I'm left with my father and America.

"It's okay America," my father says comforting her.

"No it's not Maxon. She knows about the letters, the small gifts. For heavens sake she knew where I lived. She murdered my husband, and almost killed my children Maxon. Now she's about to murder my daughter. Maxon I can't take much more of this," America says.

I have never seen my father so comfortable with someone. Not even Kriss when they were married. They knew each other well.

"Is what she said true father?" I question him.

My father sighs. "Yes. The truth of it is, I was about to marry Marissa's mother when we got into a huge fight the night before the engagement. I was so upset the next day that out of anger I married Kriss. Every day from then on I had regretted that decision. Except for my children. I would write to America, send her small gifts, hoping to get her back before the wedding. Then after the wedding I sent her gifts that were meant to be hers, and not Kriss's. When you, and your siblings were born, I stopped writing everyday. One or two letters a month. Then at the Harvest Festival I couldn't help it. I spent the days we were there with America. I wanted a way to get out of the marriage I was forced to be in. I'm sorry I didn't tell you," he explained.

"And the fire. What happened if you don't mind me asking Ms Singer."

"When the twins were young. Maybe a few months, there was a large fire in the house my husband and I were living in. I had grabbed Lucas, but forgot about Marissa. My husband ran back inside of the house to save Marissa, but he did not make it himself. I know Marissa is strong, but from that fire, many problems occurred. Sometimes she would have breathing problems. Sometimes random attacks. There was no telling. They went away after a while, but she will sometimes get them. Which is why I'm so scared. She could have an attack, and Kriss could just easily kill her," America explained.

"Which won't happen, because we will find her before Kriss will be able to kill her. I promise."

Just then my father quickly kissed her. It pained me to see him not kiss my mother, but for once I was okay with it.