Chapter 35

~Nathan~

People were shouting, but I heard one shout above all. It was Marissa. She was calling for me. I tried to push people away so I could find her, but it didn't work. The emergency lights didn't come on so we were truly blinded. Then I stopped hearing Marissa, and started to hear gunshots.

It made me sick to hear them. I had to find Marissa. "Everyone to the safe rooms!" A shout rose.

I knew that the rebels were going to be at the doors waiting for us. I start to yell my father's name, and making my way in what I thought was the stage where he was.

"Maxon!" I shouted. I knew he wouldn't know it was me if I shouted father, so I shouted his real name. "Maxon!"

"Nathan!" I heard him respond.

My eyes had begun to adjust, and I could start to make out the stage. I saw his figure still there.

"Dad! We can't leave the room. They'll be waiting," I tell him.

"I know. There's a safe room somewhere near here. We need to hurry though. Nathan carry your sister," he said.

I find the wheelchair, and pick her up. "Careful," I hear Alisa say.

I don't know what I did so I just apologized, "Sorry."

I lift her, and follow my father the best I can. We get close to the windows, and his form becomes clear now.

"Go down the servant halls, and take a left at the fork. Keep going. Miss Marlee should be down there. Her room is at the end of the hall. You'll reach an end, just push hard, and it'll open. Marlee will show you," my father says.

"But what about you?" I hear a female voice says.

"I'll be fine. I'm going to follow you. Just go."

"Not you're not."

"America, I don't have time for this. Just go!" I can't see what's happening, but after a few minutes I hear, "Now go!"

So I open the servant doors, and begin to run down the halls. I stop at the fork, and look back. The girl who was following us looked just like Marissa. I immediately knew it was Marissa's mother. "We're almost there," I tell her.

She doesn't look too good. Her skin is pale, and she's breathing hard. "Just keep going. I'll be fine," she says.

I nod my head, and keep moving. We reach the end, and sure enough on the other side of the door is Marlee. She takes us to safety with her husband, and two kids. I set Alisa down in a corner, and Marissa's mother-America- sits down somewhere else. I don't hear what happened after that. Exhaustion took over.