Chapter 37

~Maxon~

"There were two Selected deaths, and one missing. Our hearts grieve with the families of Aurora Pallmant from Hansport, and Aria Hashe from Panama. The body of Marissa Singer has not been found, and we strongly believe that the rebels have stolen her for reasons we can not explain to the country. Until we find her we will not continue on with the Selection. When she is found we will decide to either continue or end it. Thank you," I say on the Report the next day.

I had explained that Kriss had left, and that I was looking for a new Queen. I already knew who. The monitors turn off, and the lights dim. It was only me tonight. The Report was brief, only a few minutes long. Nathan was in his room, basically a mess over losing Marissa. Alisa is still in the infirmary. It breaks my heart to know why. Four of the girls had left after the attack leaving just Mila and Marissa. Mila was new to me, and I don't quite know what to make of her just yet. She's different, I'll give her that.

America's family went to the house I bought them a long time ago. They never moved in, and I never sold it. America was released, and was recovering there. Last time I knew she wouldn't let anybody talk to her, let alone see her. It just broke my heart. She probably blames me.

I sigh as I go to my room. The castle was cleaned, and the halls were silent.

I come up to the third floor. Passing Nathan's room I begin to heat muffled crying. I knew he was thinking about Marissa. Everyone knew he was. Even my father knew. Nathan told me that my father had confronted him on his feelings for her.

I pass his room, and go into Ben's room. I wonder how long Kriss could keep him hidden from me. How long she had him gone, and an imposter in his place. It broke my heart so much. I look around his room, then I remember something I hidden in his room. His baby blanket. It would at least give me some sort of comfort.

Going to his closet, I turn on the light, and look for the box. I find it sitting on a shelf above his clothing. I pull it down and open it. I remember this blanket. It was a gift from America. I had asked her in one last desperate attempt to get her back. That night Kriss announced her pregnancy to the whole country, surprising me. Five months later I got two packages, both from America. Her mother had sewed two blankets for the boys. With a simple note that said goodbye. She never gave Alisa one, and Kriss never questioned where the blankets came from.

I take the blanket out of the box, and take it with me out of Ben's room, and into mine. I laid down with it on my bed.

It wasn't five minutes later until my door opened.

"Excuse me Your Majesty," the voice said. I didn't want to roll over to face the person. "We have word about Marissa Singer." I sit straight up, and face him. "They want you in the conference room right away."

"Thank you. Please inform Prince Nathan immediately," I say getting out of bed.

I brush past the officer, and run down the hall. When I enter the room the projector is on, and what I see makes me want to be sick.