Chapter 34

~Marissa~

Nathan and I continued to dance before we left, and got something to drink. We talked and laughed, and watched as my mother and Maxon dances on the floor. They looked happy. Then Alisa was wheeled out in a wheelchair.

"Nathan look," I whisper.

He looked up to see Alisa. He gave her a smile. "I knew she was coming. She wanted to surprise father," he says turning back to me.

"That must be a wonderful present for your father."

"Yeah. He looks pretty happy."

"I've got to go. The others are probably waiting for their first dance to be me," Nathan says.

"I bet," I respond with a laugh.

He smiles too, and heads off. Not long after he leaves Mila shows up at my side. Behind her is a girl named Brooklyn, and Layla.

"Mila, Brooklyn, Layla. Nice to see you here," I say with a smile. They don't say anything. They just look at me. "Is there something you need?"

"We want you gone Marissa," Mila says.

"Not going to happen Mila. Also it's nice to see you made some friends."

She scoffs. "You don't know me."

"I'm pretty sure I'm glad I don't," I say calmly as I can. "Is there anything else you need. I'm pretty sure you three didn't come here to just stare me down."

"Maxon is mine. He has told me so. He's going to marry me, Marissa. Not some weird three. He's just keeping you around to make you feel good."

"I doubt that."

"Oh really? What has he done for you yet?"

I pretend to think. "Let's see. He let me go home when my mom had a heart attack, and let me return to the castle to finish the Selection. After I saw your little episode where you were running your hands all over him, he apologized. Something he probably wouldn't have done to anybody else. After all, every girl for themselves right?"

The lights go dark, and I'm blinded. Shouts go up in the room. I begin to shout for Nathan, then suddenly I can't shout anymore.