Chapter 30

~Marissa~~The Night of the Christmas Ball~

It was time. My dress was in the room with me, but zipped up in a bag. All of the girls had been restrained to their rooms to get ready for the ball tonight. It was promised to be the most spectacular one of all.

I had breakfast, and a very light lunch today, and my stomach was growling. I needed food otherwise I feared that my stomach was going to eat my insides. I shouldn't be complaining though.

Luna had just burst through the door startling me.

"Luna! You know better!" Everly practically shouted at Luna.

Luna calmly closed the door. "I know, and I'm sorry, but do I have news to you Marissa," Luna said as she closed the door.

I had been laying on my stomach on the bed, talking with Everly and Jordyn as they set up the vanity. Luna came to the bed, and sat down on the edge of the bed. "Well, spit it out. What's the news?" I ask excitedly.

"Nathan just placed a present under the tree a few hours ago. It's a small box, no bigger than a ring box. On it says: To: The One. Nathan just put an engagement ring under the tree Marissa!"

I knew what this meant. He's going to propose tonight. Tonight if all nights! Even though I knew it was going to be me I still got really excited.

"What!" I almost yell.

"Yes! The maids are putting their money on you Marissa. You're the one. The one he's talking about."

My maids come up around me and we all squeal like little girls. This was it. My life was going to change.

"Okay, okay. Let's settle down now," Everly said still giggling. "If you are right Luna, and Marissa is the one, then we must spend extra time getting her ready. In other words bath, now Marissa."

I playfully roll my eyes and comply. They draw my bath, and I get in and just soak. They used lavender soap which was one of my favorites. I get out, and my hair is a mess. I wrap myself in the robe, and my maids get to work right away.

My hair is all combed out and dried, but is crazy frizzy. They begin to tame the wild mess of my hair. It's amazing what my maids can do. They don't bother to get me in my dress before they begin on my hair and makeup.

When they are done my hair looks stunning, with small snowflake, and diamond hair pins. My makeup is fairly light with crystal white eyeshadow, and a deep red lipstick. I looked like a snow queen even without the dress. I smiled at my reflection.

"I don't know how you girls do it. I look incredible even without the dress," I say to them.

"Marissa you are incredible even without all of this makeup. Do you want to know why? It is because you are strong, and confident, and not afraid to be who you truly are Marissa. That is why the prince fell in love with you," Everly says placing her hands on my shoulders. I smile at her. "Now let's get you into that dress."

I smile and stand up. Luna goes over to the bag and begins to unzip it. Once it was unzipped I notice something strange. Getting closer to the dress, I find that the whole top layer of the dress is ruined, along with the sleeves.

I gasp. "What happened?"

My maids walk up to the dress. "I swear when we put the dress in here this morning it did not look like this. We would never allow your dress to look like this," Jordyn says walking up to the dress.

"Well it's a good thing that we started early. We can still salvage part of the dress Marissa," Everly says.

I'm on the brink of tears. This dress looked so amazing, and it was ruined. I wanted to cry. I just did. I wanted to cry over a dress. No matter how dumb that sounded, that was all I wanted to do.

I carefully pull the dress out of the bag, and lay it on my bed, and just look at it. Suddenly ideas rush into my mind.

"Do you girls have any of this color fabric, but like tulle?" I ask pointing to the color of the skirt.

"I believe so, why?" Luna asked back.

"I'm getting an idea on how we can save the dress." I bite my thumb nail. Something I do when I'm deep in thought. "What if we took off the sleeves altogether, made it strapless, but had the tulle as an off the shoulder thing?" I look back at the maids. They nod, and move forward. "The hard part is going to be the skirt."

Us four stand and look at the dress, thinking of what we could do to fix it. Suddenly Jordyn bursts out, "I have an idea." She puts the dress back in the bag, and begins to leave. Looking back at me she asks, "Aren't you coming?"

I stare at them. "In my robe? I don't like so," I say with a small giggle.

They look at each other and give a small laugh. Everly goes to my closet, and picks out a simple blue dress that she helps me slip on.

"Now if I get caught by Sylvia, I'm blaming it all on you three," I say with a laugh.

They laugh along with me. "Anything for our future queen," Luna says, and the three of us leave the room, and go back down to the sewing room to fix my dress.