Chapter 15

~Marissa~

Princess Alison wasn't at breakfast. Neither was Queen Kriss, King Maxon, and Prince Nathan. In fact the only royal at breakfast was Prince Ben. He seemed off though. He looked tired, and tense. I also noticed he glanced my way a handful of times.

A few minutes into breakfast another girl ran out of the room. The flu was going around, and I just hope that I don't get it.

Breakfast concluded, and we each made our ways to our rooms. Liliana and Charlotte followed me to my room.

"Are you sure you're alright Marissa?" Charlotte asks as I twist the door knob.

"I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" I ask confused.

"Well you weren't at meals all day yesterday. We were kind of worried about you."

"Oh that. I got a little sick in the night. Just didn't feel up to doing much that day."

They nod their heads as I open the door to my room. My maids had left. I sat down on the bed, and Charlotte, and Liliana also sat down.

"You have missed so much already, Marissa," Liliana begins.

"Yeah. There have already been fights over who wins the crown," Charlotte continues.

I smile and look over to the nightstand. On it is a letter. Picking it up, I begin to read it.

Miss Marissa Singer,

I would like to talk to you as soon as possible. There are some things I want to talk to you about in private. I will pick you up in your room sometime after breakfast.

Prince Nathan

"What is that?" Liliana asks.

"It's a note from Prince Nathan," I begin. "He says he wants to talk."

"Oh. That can go two ways Marissa."

"I know."

There was a knock at the door. I turn and answer it. On the other side was Prince Nathan.

"Your Highness," I say and courtesy. Charlotte and Liliana follow in suit. "To what do I owe the pleasure."

I know what he wanted, but I wanted to be sincere.

"I was wondering if you would like to take a walk through the gardens with me," Nathan says.

"I would love to."

He offers his arm, and I take it. Nathan walks me out of my room, and a few seconds later I hear Charlotte, and Liliana leave. We walk in the direction of the gardens but take a turn before reaching the garden doors.

"I'm guess you got my note," Nathan asks.

"Yes," I reply.

"Good. Now what I want to talk to you about needs to be said in complete private, and away from any potentially prying eyes."

I nod my head. Nathan leads me down a short hallway, and into a safe room.

"Don't get stressed, these rooms are the safest places in the whole palace. You can't hear anything going on inside this room."

"But don't you need a guard to unlock the door?" I ask remembering the last attack.

"Not unless you have the key." Nathan presents a silver key from his pocket.

"Okay good. Now what did you want to talk to me about?" He takes a deep breath before moving away from the door. "You might want to sit down to hear what I have to say."

I begin to get nervous. I find a chair, and sit down. My mind races with questions. Is he kicking me out? Am I done in the Selection? All of these thoughts run through my head as Nathan continues on.

"Now before you freak out, I'm not kicking you out of the Selection." A weight has been lifted from my chest. "But what I'm about to say did get me thinking about it."

"Okay. You're making me nervous. Are you kicking me out or not?"

"No. You're staying unless you want to leave after what I'm about to say." He takes a breath. "Marissa last night I was walking through the halls trying to find a way to sleep when I uncovered something."

I sucked in a breath. He knows about the murder plot. "It wasn't a murder plot was it?" I ask looking into his eyes.

He looks a little shocked but continues anyway. "Yes it was. It was for-,"

"For my mother and I. Trust me I know."

"H-how do you know?"

I begin the story, "The day I was sick. Part of that reason was because I got some unexpected visitors in my room. It was your mother and Ben. They stood over my bed as they went into detail on how they were going to get my mother to the palace, and kill us both."

I was beginning to shake a little. Nathan must've seen this, because the next thing he does is he takes my hands in his, crouches down so we're eye level, and looks into my eyes. "Hey. You're going to be okay. I'm going to make sure nothing happens to you. I've talked to my dad. We're going to put a little more security around your room to make sure nothing happens in the night."

I sniff unknowingly. I feel a few tears roll down my cheeks, but I quickly wipe them away. "Okay. What about my mom, my family?" I question.

"I haven't gotten that far yet. I do believe that they will be alright while they're home in Carolina. We'll alert them, and the local authorities to keep an extra eye on them. If there is any chance for your mother or family to come we will make sure they will be safe. I don't want anything to happen to your family just like I don't want anything to happen to you." A few more tears roll down my cheek. Nathan quickly wipes them away. "Don't cry. You're going to be safe okay. I'm going to make sure of it. Even if it means I have to be the one protecting you."

He embraces me tightly, and I return the gesture. In his arms I feel safe. He pulls away from the embrace to brush away a few stray tears. He cups my cheek with his hand, pulls my lips to his, and kisses me. I'm a little startled for a split second, then relish in the moment. Wrapping my arms around his neck we continue to kiss.

This kiss felt true. Not one for publicity, but one for true love. Then the door to the safe house opened.