Chapter 33

~America~

This was it. I was finally back. Marissa left to dance with Nathan, and everyone else seemed to disappear. It wasn't until Maxon started to make his way over that I began to feel a little awkward.

"Your Majesty," I say getting into a small courtesy.

"America. You know that you don't have to call me that," Maxon says.

"I know, but your father is watching us."

Maxon glances over his shoulder to see his father glaring at us. "He's not too happy with me. Nathan told me his choice, my father overheard, and told me to say no to Nathan's choice."

I look around. "I also see that Kriss is not here. Is she with Alisa?"

Maxon sighs. "No. She's gone. I found out about her, exposed her, and now she's gone. I told her if I saw her tonight, and after tomorrow morning at the palace she would be arrested."

"What?"

"She was in with my father about Nathan, and I snapped."

I rubbed his arm. "Maxon, I don't know if I should be sorry or happy, but I'm just going to say I'm sorry."

Inside I was ecstatic. This could be our chance. We could finally be together, but I wasn't going to hold out too much hope.

"It's no big deal. I only found out she stole our real Ben, and was poisoning our daughter," Maxon says tensing up.

"She did what?" I asked shocked.

"She stole Ben. The person who has taken his place the past few years is not my son. As far as I know I haven't seen my real son since he was ten. Maybe even younger."

"Maxon. I'm so sorry. Where is he?"

"I don't even know. Somewhere in a Southern Rebel base."

I gasp. I pull him into a hug not caring if anybody is watching. He hugs me back tightly. We stay like that for a long time. He pulls back after a while.

"I'm going to tell the country tonight what happened. Then wait a few weeks until we find Ben, and Alisa is better to ask for your hand. You're all I ever wanted America. You know that. And I know that the people will welcome you much more than they welcomed Kriss," Maxon says.

I give him a smile. "It's Christmas, let's forget about everything bad. King Maxon Schreve, would you care to dance?" I say with a small laugh.

"I would love to Ms America Singer." He gives a small laugh.

He leads me out to the floor, and we begin to dance to the music. I watch over his shoulder as we pass the thrones. Clarkson is still glaring at me, while Amberly has a smile on her lips as we danced.

"Does your mother know anything?" I asked Maxon quietly.

"She knows that I dismissed Kriss with good reason, but she doesn't know about Ben and Alisa. Neither does my father," he responds.

"Are you going to tell them?"

Maxon sighs. "Yes. I just don't know how yet."

I nod. We sway with the music happily. I spot Marissa and Nathan laughing before Nathan excusing himself. Then another girl walks up to her. We turn so I can't see what's going on with them. Instead I see something that makes me smile.

"Maxon, look," I say.

He twists around to see what I was talking about. Up on the raised platform where the thrones are is a wheelchair. Sitting in the wheelchair is Princess Alisa. I look at Maxon, and he has tears in his eyes.

"Come with me. I want you to formally meet my daughter," Maxon says to me.

"No. I can't. Your father will kill me," I say with a small smile.

"He can't touch you. Not with me around, and as King." He pulls me behind him. "Come on America."

"Maxon," I say with a giggle.

He pulls me through the crowd, and up to the thrones.

"Alisa," Maxon says.

"Dad," Alisa says with a big smile. Maxon embraces his daughter. "I thought you supposed to stay in the infirmary."

"I was. They released me for the ball tonight. I'm due to go back before the ball is over though." I see her smile. "Where's mom? I thought she would be here."

Maxon pulls back, and bends down to her level. "Alisa. Your mother did some very bad things. I had to tell her to leave. If she stayed some very bad things could have happened to you, Ben, and Nathan. I put you three before her. I can't stand the thought of losing one of you," Maxon explained.

Alisa has tears in her eyes. "What was she doing dad?" Maxon doesn't respond. "Dad."

"Honey. She was poisoning you. She was the reason you weren't getting better. Nathan found out.
Alisa she was going to kill you."

"No." Alisa was beginning to cry. Maxon wrapped her back in a hug. I began to feel awkward standing there.

After a few minutes Alisa pulls back, and looks at me. "Dad, who's that?" She asks.

"Alisa, this is America. I've loved her long before I loved your mother. She was always there for me, and even after I married your mother she was still there to help me, to guide me. I've decided to ask for her hand in marriage once the time is right."

Alisa looks at me. "You're Marissa's mother?" She asks.

"Your Highness," I say with a courtesy.

"Please don't. Your daughter is amazing. At least what I've heard of her. Nathan talks about her a lot."

I give her a smile. "Marissa talks about Nathan a lot too. They seem to get along quite fine don't they?"

Alisa smiles. "I do hope she wins."

Suddenly the room goes dark.