Chapter 20

~Maxon~

It's getting late out. Kriss had gone down to check on Alison, and I was in my office doing some more work. Doing the work was hard though. I couldn't get my mind off of what Gavril has said during the Report last night. That the doctor believes that it was something else that was harming Alison, instead of the flu. Could Kriss have poisoned our daughter? The possibility of that was just nagging at me.

I set aside the work, unable to focus on it anymore. I place my head in my hands and just think. There had to be some reason that it wasn't the flu. There were a handful of girls that were getting sick. I'm about ready to tell Nathan to send the sick girls home if he didn't care enough to marry them. That was what's going to have to happen tomorrow, or in the next few days if more girls get sick.

I decide I should probably get some rest. It was after dark, and everyone was settling in for the night. I stand and collect my things. I don't even get to the door when I hear a knock.

Opening the door I find a guard. "King Maxon," he says with a bow. "I have a message for you. It's from Carolina."

The officer hands me a note, and I take it. "Thank you. Back to your post," I say.

The officer bows, and heads back to his post. I guess I have one other thing to do tonight. Sitting back down I open the note that was placed in an envelope.

King Maxon,

I have word that you and my daughter have been corresponding again. I also know that my granddaughter Marissa is there in the Selection. Please this is very urgent that you read this, and tell Marissa immediately. America has had a mild heart attack. She is in stable condition, but it is Marissa's right to know things that happen back at home. I know America wouldn't want Marissa to come home just for her. I guess she is afraid that she will be eliminated. It is up to you if you will allow Marissa to return home without being eliminated. It is also up to Marissa if she wants to come home knowing that her mother will be alright. Please pass this onto her. We are just trying to stay connected with her, even though we are going through a tough time. If Marissa decides not to come home, I will write to you, and update you on America's condition. Although the doctor says she will make it, things can always take a turn for the worst. Please pass this on to Marissa.

-Magda Singer

I had to set the note down. America had a heart attack. I couldn't believe it. Of course if Marissa wanted to return home for a few days I would let her without being eliminated. After I let it sink in, I practically jumped to reach a pen and paper. I was going to need to write to America, and her family.

I began with the family.

Singer Family,

I am sorry to hear what has happened to America. I will pass the note onto Marissa, and contact you when she decides if she will come home. If she decides to return home, I will make sure she is not eliminated. Please give the next letter to America to read. Again I am sorry that this had to happen now.

- King Maxon Schreve

I fold up the letter write 'Singer Family' on it. Then I start the next letter for America.

America,

I feel like this is the universe punishing me from not picking you all these years ago. Your mother has reached out to me, and told me what has happened. I can't believe this had to happen to you. I feel as if I could have somehow prevented this from happening to you. I guess the only good part about this situation is that you're alive. That's all that matters. I have been told to inform Marissa about what has happened. If she decides to return home for a few days, I will make sure she is not eliminated. But I know that you don't like people fuss over you, so I will leave the option of her return up for her to decide.

I hope you were able to see the Report. I have word that Marissa and Nathan had the first kiss of the Selection. I also have a feeling that Kriss poisoned Alison, and that's why she is still sick. There have been so many crazy things going on here. I really wish I had married you instead of Kriss. Maybe then everything would make sense again.

I really miss you America. I do hope you get better soon. Please write to me as soon as you're able so I know you're alright. I love you with all my heart America.

Tugging my ear whenever,
Maxon

I reread the letter to make sure I had everything. Then I folded the letter and wrote 'America' on it. I kissed the letter, hoping that she would be able to feel it. I stuff both letters in an envelope, and seal it. Grabbing the letter I had received, I turned off the office lights, and left to find Marissa. I hand my letter off to a passing maid telling her to send it as soon as possible, because it was extremely urgent. With a courtesy, she ran off with the letter.

I made my way down the Selected hallway until I came to Marissa's room. Her door was slightly ajar, and I saw Marissa and Nathan kissing on her bed. I smile, then give a slight knock on the door before entering. Marissa and Nathan pull apart to find me entering.

"King Maxon," Marissa says with shock.

"Please Marissa, just call me Maxon," I say back.

"What is it father?" Nathan asks standing.

"I have news from your family in Carolina Marissa," I begin. Her expression plays shocked, and worried. "I'm here to inform you that your mother had a heart attack."

"What?" Marissa asks shakily while trying to stand.

"Please Marissa sit down. This happened to your mother with her father. But your mother is alive, and stable." I make my way over to the side of her bed. I sit down next to her. "They are not forcing you to return home. But they are leaving the option open."

Marissa places her head in her hands and begins to cry. Nathan comes and sits next to her, and begins to rub her back and comfort her. She leans into him, and he lets her. I can tell that Nathan is going to pick Marissa.

After Marissa calms down she asks, "Will I be eliminated if I go home?"

"I will allow four days to be absent from the palace, which does not include travel. If you decide to stay home after being with you mother then you will be eliminated, but if you decide to return, I will make sure that you won't be eliminated."

She nods her head and considers it for a few moments. "Can I tell you my final decision tomorrow?" She asks.

"If you tell me by noon tomorrow. If not I will just assume that you will be staying." I feel like these words sound harsh coming out of my mouth. I don't mean them to be harsh, but I guess there's really no other way to say it.

"Okay," Marissa says rather quietly.

I stand and begin to make my way to the door. "I will leave the letter that your grandmother sent here for you to read. When you have decided let me know, and I will arrange whatever needs to be done."

She nods her head. I can tell that she's about ready to start crying again. I can't believe that this has happened twice to the Singer's. At least this time Marissa didn't pass out like America did. I leave the room, and as I close the door I hear the most gut wrenching cry.