Chapter 4

~Maxon~

I was called out of breakfast this morning. Now I was sitting in the conference room arguing with August and Georgia Illéa on video.

They of course couldn't come in person, which would've made this whole situation easier. Now it just felt like they were threatening me instead of talking to me.

"Why?" I say to their faces.

"Why what?" August said back.

"Why now. Of all the times you could've reached out to me. Why now? It doesn't have to do with the Selection does it?"

"Wow. You aren't as dumb as you seem," Georgia said this time.

"Just get to the point," I say more irritated.

"I think you know what we want," it was August's turn to speak.

"Let me guess. You want Marissa Singer to win the Selection, so that you'll have a descendent of a Northern Rebel on the throne."

"Well when you put it like that it sounds so much more horrible than it actually sounds."

"No. You already have one Northern Rebel on the throne now. Also I'm not going to force my son to do anything. If he doesn't love Marissa, that's not my problem."

August and Georgia look at each other confused.

"Maxon, Kriss isn't a Northern Rebel," Georgia says in a sweeter tone then she has been talking in.

"What do you mean? Kriss told America, and America told me that Kriss was a Northern Rebel."

"Kriss's parents were Northern Rebels until she was married to you. According to our sources they haven't stepped foot into the base since the wedding."

I sit back into my chair. Could Kriss really be a Southern Rebel?

"Okay. What is your dealer offering you?" I ask.

"We're not sure yet," August said.

"Find our what they're paying you. Then reach back out to me, but not by threat or force please. Depending on what they pay you, I may be able to double it. But my one condition is that you won't mess with the Selection. Let my son find true love, instead of forcing him into one."

They nod their heads. "We're sorry Maxon. It's just that with so much going on, our dealer was able to make you an easy target," Georgia said.

"We'll get back to you when we have our answer," August said.

Their tones have changed from menacing, to soft. The screen clicked off meaning they had ended the call. I sigh, and look around the room of advisors who were looking back at me.

"Your Highness, I don't advise you giving them money. If the Southern Rebels hear about this, they will try the same tactics. We can't risk it," one of the advisors said.

"But we have to. They'll interfere with the Selection until they get what they want. Not to mention that they have stopped raiding the castle. I trust them. If they say they're working for a better cause. A cause that is helping our people, then I believe them," I say.

"There must be another way. Start working on the lower castes. Make a better life for them."

"I've been working on that for a while now. But if we do that, then they'll go back o what they were doing before. Raiding the castle, and we can't have that."

The advisors look around. Another one looks at me and asks, "What do you mean you've been working on the lower castes?"

I gave a small smile to myself. "Ever since America Singer preposed the idea of eliminating the castes, I've worked quietly on that idea. Now I don't have all of the wrinkles flattened out, but it could work," I say.

The advisors look around with nervous expressions.

"Your Highness, but that does not sound like the best course of action. The castes have worked for years now. Taking them away would cause unrest in the country."

"Look at the country now. There is already unrest. Do you really think I suggested the Selection to my son because I thought it was time? No. I suggested it to distract people from their crappy lives that they live. But what happens when the Selection is over? They go back to protests, and crap lives. At least there is a group that is actually working with low castes to make their lives better, but I have a better way."

The advisors look at each other. I knew they weren't buying it. I sighed. It was worth a try. When I gave up on the idea a voice from the back of the room spoke up. "I think that it's a good idea Your Highness," it was Lady Brice. "If you present the idea to us I'm sure that we will be able to work out any wrinkles in the plan. Then we'll decide if it is the right course of action to take for our country."

I hear murmurs around the room.

"Thank you Lady Brice. Next week right here, after breakfast. Everyone comes here with an open mind about it. No shooting the idea down right away. We'll work on it to see how far we get," I say. I see a few forced nods. "I have to go. Whatever was said in this room does not leave this room. Kriss can't know that we think she's a Rebel, and we can't talk about potentially founding the Northern Rebels, and we especially can't talk about potentially taking away the castes. Am I clear?" Nods and murmurs of agreement go around the room. "Good. I have to go."

I stand and leave the room. I decide to go to my office, and write America back. I took some time after we got back from Carolina to print, and duplicate the photos that I took. They were currently sitting in my desk drawer in my office. I wanted to send the duplicates to her so she could have the photos too.

I get to my office and begin to write. I don't know how to get across what I want to say, but somehow I do.