Chapter 13

~America~

It hasn't even been a week, and two big things in the news were spreading. One was of the recent Southern Rebel attack a few days ago. The second was Prince Nathan playing favorites.

I was relieved to hear that there were no casualties in the attack. But four girls left because of it. One was not Marissa though. It takes a lot to scare her off.

When news came through about Prince Nathan playing favorites I immediately wanted to know who. The four girls were telling the press that there was one girl who has seen Prince Nathan more than most. I was surprised to hear that it was Marissa. Not that I didn't want her to be a favorite, she just didn't seem to be the girl Nathan would want.

She is secluded, and quiet, yet outgoing. Not to mention Kriss might've been twisting him to stay away from Marissa. But nonetheless I was excited she was a favorite. Maybe they'll have what Maxon and I could've had.

I'm pulled from my thoughts when the school bell rings and the students leave. I pack my things, and begin my long walk home. Lucas got the flu on Monday after Marissa left. He was better, but I still didn't allow him to go to school. I took off half of the day to be with him to make sure he's okay.

The wind picked up, sending a chill down my spine. I pull my coat closer, and quicken my pace. As I near my house I see a large envelope sitting on the doorstep. I grab the mail, and unlock the door. Looking at the address I see it's from the palace. No name, just the palace. Setting my bag down I open the package. There is a letter from Maxon.

It was short and sweet, but full of passion. I reach into the envelope to find a small package. Unwrapping it I find photos. They were of the Festival. I smile as I go through them.

Setting them aside I move through the mail. There was another letter from the palace. It was Marissa. I smile as I open the letter. But what I found was disturbing. She told me of a murder plot against her. She told me to write to Maxon. That he'll listen to me.

With shaking hands I set the letter down. Scrambling around I find paper and a pen. I need to write a letter back to Marissa. Then I needed to write the most important letter ever to Maxon. This time it wasn't about love. It was about saving my daughter's life if what she said is true.