Chapter 24

~America~

I felt lousy. I couldn't do anything, and I felt helpless. May, and mom had been trying to rouse my spirits, but nothing was working. Most of the time I just sat and stared at my ring. I played with it, and just thought of what life would have been like if I hadn't made the stupid mistake.

Suddenly May burst through the door.

"Alright. I know you're not feeling good, you feel like crap I know, and you keep telling us nothing will make you feel any better, but that's about to change," May says.

She pulls the door open to reveal Marissa and Marlee.

"Marlee!" I exclaim.

"America!" Marlee also exclaimed. She rushed over to my bedside, and embraced me. After a few seconds Marlee pulled back. "How are you feeling?"

"I could be better. What are you even doing here?"

Marlee moves to sit on the edge of the bed. "Maxon sent me. Marissa needed a maid to go with her, and Maxon chose me. I'm also supposed to tell Maxon how you're doing, help you with anything, and give you this." Marlee pulls out a letter from a pocket in her uniform. She hands it to me, and I look it over.

"Thank you. I'll read it later. I think I'd like to talk to Marissa for a little bit."

Marlee moves from the bed, and Marissa moves up. She has a small smile on her face as she approaches. I can tell that she's being cautious.

"Come here," I say.

She rushed up, and hugs me tight. "I thought that something way worse has happened. I thought you were going to die," Marissa says. She sounds ready to cry.

"It's okay. I'm glad you came back. How long are you here for?"

"Four days. I leave Thursday."

"Well then I better get better before then."

"Take your time mom. I want you to get very well, and not just better okay."

I sigh. She knows me too well. "Fine, but you better go get packed alright. I'll talk to you in a little bit okay?"

"Okay."

Marissa gives me one last hug, and then leaves the room. I smile, then I remember the letter the Marlee gave me. I quickly open it up.

America,

You scared me so badly when I received the letter from your mother. I can't lose you. Not when we're so close. We may have found a weakness in Kriss's plans. But that's not why I sent you this letter.

I still love you America. I always have and I always will. Because I love you, it also means that I care for you. Please get better America. I sent Marlee. She knows what's going on with Kriss. If you ever want to talk about it, do it with her. I also sent Marissa for four days. It seemed a reasonable amount. I also didn't want people thinking that Nathan and I were playing favorites. Even though everyone can see that Nathan is favoring Marissa in the bunch. I guess we can wait and see.

Even after the Selection. If Kriss is put away, and even if Nathan selects Marissa, I'd still marry you. It's all I ever wanted America.

If you're not better by the time Marissa leaves, Nathan and Kriss are planning a Christmas Ball. The families of the Selected will all be present. The only thing is that Kriss is expecting Marissa to be eliminated by this time. You know Kriss and my father aren't all that different. Only Kriss is controlling in a quieter, more secretive way. Hopefully nothing will interfere with whom Nathan chooses.

Again please get better soon America. I love you.

Maxon

My heart swelled with happiness. He would still want me. That's all I needed to know.