Chapter 8

~Marissa~

I didn't sleep the rest of that night. I tossed and I turned, but nothing came. Sleep was not kind to me. There was a death threat over my head, and Prince Ben was going to carry it out. If that was even Prince Ben.

The sun shown bright into my room. My maids rushed into my room just as fast as the light did. I just laid in bed as they began the prep to get me ready.

I moaned and caught the attention of Everly.

"Are you alright miss?" Everly asked coming over to my bedside.

"I don't know. I was up in the middle of the night, and threw up. I haven't been to sleep since then," I said.

"Oh dear." She pressed a cool hand against my forehead. "Miss Singer, you're burning up. I'll call the doctor, and have him come up. I just hope you're not as sick as Princess Alison."

"What's wrong with Princess Alison?"

"She was up all night too. The doctors believe she came down with the flu last night. She won't be going anywhere for the next few days."

That sounded terrible. I haven't had the flu before, but some of my friends have. They were gone for days from school they were so sick. I have thrown up before. It was after eating a meal my mom cooked, and I found out I was allergic to one of the ingredients in it. I was sick for a few days, but I pulled through just fine.

Everly leaves the room most likely to call the doctor. Luna and Jordyn continue the prep.

A few minutes later Everly walks back in with the doctor. She pulls up a chair, and sits down next to my bed.

"What seems to be the problem Miss Singer," she says.

"Well I was up in the middle of the night when I had the sudden urge to just throw up. Then I tossed and turned all night from then on," I say.

"Did you just throw up once?"

"Yes. Only once. But my maid Everly said I had a fever this morning."

"Let me see." She stands up, and leans over the bed to feel my head. "Well you are very hot. You might just have a bug. I'll have you just stay in your room for today. If the fever breaks you'll be free to go, if not maybe another day of rest. We can't have many girls getting sick here." I nod. "I'll send some medicine up. Have her take it every eight hours. That should help with the fever."

Everly nods her head. The doctor leaves my room.

"Well you heard her Miss Singer. Nothing for you today. One of us will check in on you about every hour or so just to be safe," Everly said.

Luna and Jordyn begin to put their things away. After they're finished Luna walks up to me. "Is there anything we can get you before we leave?" She asks. Her voice has a thick Latin accent in it. Her skin is also dark tan. She must be from one of the castes down south.

"Um yes. Could I get a piece of paper, something to write with, and something to write on please," I say.

She goes to the small desk to get what I need. She comes back with a heavy book, a few sheets of paper, and a pen.

"Thank you," I say.

"If that's all you need, we'll inform the others that you won't be dinning with them today. One of us will bring you a breakfast as well," Everly said.

"Thank you."

They all nod and leave the room. As soon as the door clicks shut I begin to write.

I knew Nathan wouldn't believe me, and King Maxon would think I'm crazy, so the next best option is my mom. Maybe she can get word to King Maxon.

I just know I have to tell someone otherwise there is a high chance I won't survive the Selection.

Dear Mom,

The palace is wonderful. I really miss you and Luke though. I've met Prince Nathan, and he is super nice and sweet. Girls have already declared war on me because they knew you were in the Selection before me. But I'm not necessarily writing to you because I miss you. It's because of what I over heard last  night (my second night in the palace).

I was trying to sleep in my room when voices outside of my door woke me up. Then the two people behind the voices came in. I was pretending to be asleep, but the voices sounded like Queen Kriss and Prince Ben. They made it sound like they were plotting to kill me. It also seemed like Prince Ben isn't who he says he is. I didn't know who to tell so I'm writing to you. Prince Nathan wouldn't believe me, and King Maxon would think I was crazy. Maybe you could tell him for me please. He'll listen to you more then he will listen to me.

There was also a Rebel attack yesterday. I'm okay, but I don't know about some of the other girls. I threw up last night after the Queen and prince declared my death. The doctor said I'm sick and should stay in bed until this fever breaks. I should be fine.

I hope to see you all soon. Tell Luke I love him so much. I love you more mom.

Love,
Marissa

I could up the letter and place it on the small nightstand next to the bed. Now that it's all off of my chest I feel so much better now. Hopefully King Maxon will believe my mother's word and do something about it.

There are so many ways that it could go wrong. But someone at least needed to know incase if what Queen Kriss was planning was going to happen tonight. At least someone will know.