Chapter 19

~America~

It was the night of the Report. Tonight Marissa would be on. My family asked if I wanted to come over to watch with them, but I declined because of the long, and tiring day I had at school. Lucas was reluctant to leave me alone, and stayed at the house with me.

I had a glass of water as Lucas turned the tv on for the Report.

It started out the same, announcements, and reports, but they were all cut in half due to the Selected. As the camera panned out I found Marissa. She was sitting in the back row between two other girls. I was shocked by her dress. It looked extremely similar to my blue dress I had, but it was red and gold. It was beautiful. It took my breath away to see her in it.

The bulk of the Report was of Prince Nathan, and the first few days of the Selected being in the palace. I noticed that Marissa wasn't in too many photos. I know she's being threatened right now by Kriss, but what else has happened since she's been there? One announcement catches my attention, and pretty much answers my question.

"We are saddened to hear that our very own Princess Alison has been rushed to the infirmary earlier this week due to her health. The doctor has claimed that they are symptoms of the flu, but he says it could be something else. Although he does believe that it is the flu due to the other girls coming into the infirmary, and being diagnosed with the flu. We are all hoping for a quick recovery of our princess," Gavril says.

We come to the end of the Report. Gavril finishes up his questions with this final question was this.

"Okay, I have time for one final question Prince Nathan. I know it's only been a few days with the Selected, but have you kissed any of the girls yet?" Gavril asks.

Prince Nathan turns beet red. I find that he reads a lot like Maxon does. If he's lying, embarrassed, or uncomfortable. Nathan has kissed one of the girls. But I'm unsure who it is.

The camera pans out to the Selected who look like they're trying to figure out who. I watch Marissa, and I'm glad I did. The two girls on either side of her give her a look, and one gives her a little nudge with her elbow. The two girls have big grins on their faces. I know right away it was Marissa he kissed. Luke doesn't seem to notice this. Marissa blushes ever so slightly.

The camera goes back to Nathan. "Well if I said no, it would be a lie," he says.

"Oh, do tell Prince Nathan," Gavril says.

"I'm not going to go into detail. Such as where it was, and who it was with, but I can assure Illéa that there was a kiss that happened."

Gavril looks back at the Selected as Nathan's talking as to try and figure out which Selected it was.

"Well I sure can't guess which one it was. But I'm sure whoever the lucky girl was, was very excited to have had your first kiss of the Selection."

Nathan gives a slight nod of his head. I can only imagine what's going on in Marissa's head right now.

"Well that's all the time we have for tonight. Ladies and gentlemen on Illéa, I bid you goodnight," Gavril says.

The screen goes dark. Lucas stands up, and flips off the tv. I stand up, and grab the glass of water. Suddenly my chest begins to clench. I wince, and try not to let Lucas see my pained expression. I set the glass on the counter, and wait it out. Hopefully it'll pass.

I hear Lucas walk into the kitchen. "Are you okay mom?" he asks me placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm fine. Just got a little dizzy that's all," I lie.

"Are you sure? Do you need me to get Grandma or Aunt May over here?"

I place one of my hands over his. "I'll be fine. I promise."

"Okay. If something happens tell me, and I'll go get someone to help."

I give a weak smile, and squeeze his hand. It isn't too long before my chest clenches again. I want to groan in pain, but I try and stifle it. I try and focus on the glass of water sitting below me. Reaching for it, I try and grab it to take a drink.

As I do my chest clenches even tighter. I drop the glass mid way to my lips. It shatters on the floor. I begin to fall backwards, but Lucas was there to catch me. He gently lays me down on the ground away from the shattered glass.

He tries to talk to me, but I can't hear any of it. I mange out, "Get mom."

At least he knows who I mean by mom. He runs to the phone, and calls my mom. She'll know what to do.

After Lucas finishes the call, he races back over to me. My vision is beginning to go blurry. Lucas grips my hand, and is talking. I still can't hear him. I feel my body relax, and fall back all the way onto the ground.

My vision goes dark, and suddenly I am welcomed into the emptiness of a black pit.