Chapter 36

~Maxon~

I hurry through the ballroom. I don't remember why I was here, but I know there was something I needed. As I continued to run through the room I kept stumbling. I had to get out of here, and upstairs.

I successfully made it, and to my room. I grabbed what I came for. As I go to leave I heard voices.

"I saw him go up here," said a voice.

"It doesn't matter. He isn't who we need," said another.

I was caught. As I backed away from the door I remember a servant hall on the west wall. I make my way over, and try to find the entrance.

"It doesn't matter. We were told to get rid of him too. Find him, and shoot him," said the first voice.

I find the door, and push it open. My bedroom door begins to open, and I slip into the servant halls, and close the door as the two rebels walk into the room. I run down the halls to Marlee's room. Her safe room luckily doesn't lock from the inside. So can open it that way.

The run is long, but I make it there. I listen for anything, then leave the halls. Quietly I run from the halls to the safe room careful to make no noise.

I knock on the door, and Carter Woodwork opens the door. He gestures for me to come it. I find America passed out on the floor, and Marlee looking over her.

"Is America alright?" I ask her.

"I don't know. She came in, and Nathan and America passed out. Nathan is alright, but I don't know about America. She's breathing, but it's shallow. She's too overworked. She needs to see a doctor soon," Marlee says.

I look around the room. I don't see Marissa, or anybody from America's family. "Where's Marissa?" I ask.

Marlee looks at me. "I thought you went back for her," she says.

"I thought she was in here."

Marlee shakes her head. "It was only Nathan, Alisa, and America."

Oh no. I can only hope that Marissa is safe with her family, and mine.

———————————————————————————

A few hours pass, and the door is finally opened. A guard comes in. "It is safe. It is highly recommended that each of you see the doctor immediately," he says.

"Thank you. Is there any word on the Selected, their families, and mine?" I ask him.

"None yet. I was sent down here to open rooms, I have not been upstairs to take count."

Take count. I know that means there was a large death toll. It means that this attack was large. I feel sick to my stomach.

"Thank you. That will be all," I say.

He officer nods, and leaves. I pick up America, and go to the infirmary. She needs to be checked out immediately.

Once through the door a nurse takes her from me, and takes her to a different room. Another nurse looks at me.

"Well Your Majesty, it looks like you just have a sprained ankle. Nothing that can't be fixed," the nurse says.

I don't remember hurting my ankle. The adrenaline must've kept me going, and I ignored the pain. The nurse puts a brace on my ankle. "Just take it easy on the ankle. Keep it elevated as much as possible, and the swelling should go down. We don't need it to get worse," she says.

I nod my head. "Is there any news about the Selected, their families, and the royals yet?" I ask.

The nurse shakes her head. "Nothing yet sir. But we are still hoping."

I nod my head, and go upstairs. I don't know what to think. America's family could be dead, my parents could be dead. Marissa could be dead. It's too much to wrap my head around. It probably wouldn't be until tomorrow until we had a definitive number of people, and names. It made me sick to think about it.

What's even worse is right in front of me. There were still bodies on the floor. Blood stained the carpets, and writing was on the wall. I wanted to vomit, but I was going to hold in until I reached my room.

I passed the second floor, and went to the third. There weren't any bodies, but there was still writing. I quickly made my way to my room. I couldn't take it anymore. This was all too much for me.

I sit down on my bed, and pull out what I had grabbed from in here earlier. A slip of paper, that in the wrong hands can do great damage. Abolish the castes was what it was originally, but attached to it was a letter for America. If people found out about this, that I was contacting America while I was married to Kriss, everything would break lose. By this paper. Abolishing the castes, this was the only paper left of this. This was the final answer to all of it.

I set the paper down on my desk, then lay down on the bed. I close my eyes, and think. A maid bursts through the door.

"Your Majesty. We have word on Lady America," she says. I sit up. "She's alive, and stable. She's in the infirmary, and was awake when I left. You should probably go see her."

I nod my head, and leave my room. As I pass the second floor, the bodies are all picked up, and maids and butlers are working on the walls. I pass them on my way down. I pick up my pace and hurry downstairs. I find America's room, and rush in. Sure enough she's awake.

"Maxon?" She rasps out.

"America. Thank god you're okay. You scared me," I say walking to her side.

"I scared you? Maxon, I was terrified that you were going to die. You left, and I didn't know where you went or anything. I can't lose you again," she cried.

I pulled her close to me and held her. We stayed like that for a while until a butler came in.

"Your Majesty. We have word about the Selected. You must come at once," he said. So I did.