Chapter 7

~Marissa~

I wake with a start. I look around to see my room pitch black, with only a little light from the moon coming in from the window. How did I get in my room? The last thing I remember was the Rebel attack. I must've fallen asleep in the safe room yesterday.

I lay back down in my bed. I wasn't in my dress anymore. Instead I was in a cream silk nightgown. My hair was out and down.

I don't know what caused me to wake with such a start, but I did. I can't remember it being a nightmare, but something in it happened to wake me. Nothing comes to mind when I think about it.

So I stop thinking about it. I close my eyes and try to sleep. I begin to hear voices outside my room. One sounded like Queen Kriss. The other sounded deeper. I knew it wasn't Nathan's. It must be Prince Ben's.

I can't make out a single word they're saying, but I can identify the voices, and when they're talking. I roll over to my side and try to pretend they aren't there. My door opens, and I quickly shut my eyes. I hear two sets of footsteps walk to my bed side.

"This is her? She's nothing. An easy target," Ben says.

"Yes. She might seem that way, but if she is anything like her mother she won't give up. I want you to do what we discussed," Queen Kriss says.

"But why? She's done nothing wrong."

"No, but there are people who want her. People that I work for behind the Queen act. And the only way to get her is by taking her out from the inside. You do this, and you never have to step foot into this place again."

"I do this. She's gone, and I'm free to leave?"

"Yes. We'll stage another attack, and make it seemed like you died along with the girl. while you make your escape out of here with her."

"Sounds good. Now if you'll excuse me, I have somewhere I have to be."

I hear my terrace doors open, and a cool gust of air comes through. I try not to shiver.

"Yes you do. I'll see you in the morning," Queen Kriss says.

The doors close, and heat floods in where the cold once was. I feel Kriss leaning down over my body. "Enjoy my son while it lasts, Singer," Kriss says in a deep ominous tone.

I hear her shoes clack against the floor as she leaves my room. The door clicks shut. I wait a few minutes just to be sure she's gone. Then I spring from my bed, turn on the bathroom lights, and throw up my last meal into the toilet. I was now a part of a murder plot, and I was the victim.