Chapter 14

~Maxon~

Nathan pulled me aside this morning, and asked if we could talk alone. So we went to my office and sat down.

"Now I know you think I'm crazy but I'm telling the truth, and I just want you to hear me out," he begins. I can tell he's nervous.

"Okay. If you think you'll sound crazy, I'll try my best to keep an open mind about all of this," I say. Which is true. I'm not short to anger like my father.

"Okay. I was up late last night going to the kitchens for something to help me get to sleep when I had the sudden urge to hide. When I hid I overheard mom and Ben talking about a murder plan. It was for Marissa Singer and her mom."

I suck in a breath. So Kriss isn't who she says she is. Georgia and August were right.

"Okay. What do you propose we do?" I ask honestly very concerned for America and Marissa.

"I talked to Miss Marlee last night. I came up with a guard by her door at all times, and a few in the gardens below her balcony Incase someone decides to come in."

I nod my head. That was the best we can do. Just then an idea comes into mind. I need to contact Georgia and August.

"Nathan. There's some people I would like you to meet. I hope we'll be able to contact them at this time," I say.

He nods his head. I stand and leave my office with Nathan close behind me. I walk into a room full of advisors eating their breakfasts.

"King Maxon. We weren't expecting you this early," an advisor says standing.

"That's because I wasn't planning on this. Is there a way we can contact Georgia and August Illéa?" I ask.

Some nod their heads and get to work. The screen comes on and there are a tired looking Georgia and August Illéa.

"King Maxon. I'm sure that there is a good explanation for this early call," August says.

"There is. I'm sure you know my son Nathan. Last night he made a discovery on Kriss. I believe we have some solid evidence on who's side Kriss is on," I say.

"Oh?"

"Nathan," I whisper to him.

He steps forward and begins to speak, "Last night I heard a murder plot against Miss Marissa Singer, and her mother America Singer. The two people talking were my mother Kriss, and my brother Ben."

An expression of shock come across their faces. "That surprises me that she was able to pull Prince Ben into this," Georgia says.

"That's the thing. I don't believe that it's my actual brother. I know my brother's voice, and what I heard wasn't his voice. It was deeper, and older sounding."

"We'll look into both Kriss and Ben. We have people working for us inside Southern Rebel Headquarters. We'll have them get any information." August nods his head with what his wife says.

"Good. Do you think you could update us on that information. We want to keep the Singers safe, and alive," I state.

"We know. For now keep a few eyes on Marissa until we can find out more."

"We will." As I'm about ready to end the call I remember something from the last call. "Did you ever find out what your dealer was going to pay you?"

"We have not yet. We have not been in contact with them since we made the deal. We're trying to track them down, but we can't find them anywhere. Once we find them, we'll get our answer, and get back to you."

"Okay. Be careful. We don't want to be the reason you lost a fighter."

"We will. Thank you for the update. We'll keep an eye out for anything suspicious around their headquarters."

"Good luck."

"You too."

The call ends. I look around the room to see the advisors looking at us.

"Not a word," I command. "That goes for you to Nathan."

"My lips are sealed," he replies.

"Good. Now follow me. You must have many questions."

We leave the room, and go back to my office. I sit behind my desk, and Nathan sits across from me.

"Who you saw were the leaders of the Northern Rebels. When they attacked us they only took books, and a few valuables, and did not kill. America Singer discovered your mother was a Northern Rebel, and warned me about her. After finding out she was not a Northern Rebel I had many questions. Now we know who she is," I begin.

"A Southern Rebel," Nathan finishes.

"We think so. I also promised to pay double of what their dealer was paying them, as long as I knew what he or she was after, and what they were paying. The Northern Rebels have moved on from the palace, and are now working on making lives better for lower castes."

"That's good I guess."

"It is. But there are a few things that can not happen after what you saw. No one can know. None of the Selected, family, or anyone. There is no telling what could happen if people find out."

"I promise I won't tell anyone. You can trust me."

I give him a small smile. "I know I can. A suggestion, tell Marissa what you heard. It will be easier to explain why she's going under some tough watch."

"I will. That's what I was planning on after breakfast. I thought it would be a good idea."

"Yes. Now go eat some breakfast. I have a lot to think through." Nathan nods and stands. "Also, pretend as if nothing happened. Don't let Ben or your mother know you heard anything last night. Say you got up late. You might want to check on Alison. She hasn't been doing too good. We're talking about taking her down to the hospital wing if she doesn't get better today."

"Will do."

Nathan leaves. I know how much Alison means to Nathan. Nathan took it upon himself to protect Alison from anything and everything. Since then they've been inseparable.

But Alison was the least of my worries. I was more worried about how to protect America and Marissa, and figure out what I'm going to do about Kriss and Ben.